Share your winter bike.

I’ve an acquaintance in Spain (where my wife is from) who is a very good cyclist that trains throughout the year as he competes at a decent level.

Last year he was telling me how he won a bike in a race for coming first , and he is using it now as a winter bike.

We went for a look at it , with me expecting a “winter bike” only to be presented with a Colnago C64 same as my summer bike.

My point is , winter bike has an entirely different meaning in the UK to Mainland Europe. I’ve just got back from Spain which whilst cold (2-5degrees C) it was dry and sunny. I don’t need to tell folk on here what our weather has been like in comparison.

My point is , winter bike has an entirely different meaning in the UK to Mainland Europe.

Truth beknown, not consistent either in mainland Europe.

Southern Spain / Portugal / Italy is more about best bike and second best bike. There is no need for a winter in the British sense. You can perfectly well survive on one bike without it getting messed up. Go above the Loire Valley, more-or-less accepted two bikes for "on season and off season". Off season bike traditionally being a cast off and fighting fit ready to be destroyed and retired mangled in a CX race 😁 . Go even further up North, then a dedicated deep winter bike, transition season and summer bike is fairly common sense and normal.

My winter bike is my touring and long distance bike. Because it can be glorious one day then chuck it down the next. In fact it can be glorious one side of the hill and chucking down in the other. Uk, it's great

Here's mine:

Bianchi via nirone 50th anniversary with a mixed Campag 11s group. Chorus carbon shifters & mechs, Centaur CT carbon cranks, Campag Zonda wheels and Veloflex tyres.

One of the last lot built in Italy I think and rides really well!

IMG_20231205_081623.jpg

This is how I picked it up. Now my winter bike. Don’t worry: I’ve got rid of all the bits and sorted the bar tape 😀
Nice frame actually: “Deda Replica” tubing. I believe custom made by a small producer/talented amateur. The club ride purists will approve of what appears to be a home-made sprayguard rivetted on the back.
CA9679A9-AC13-4E4B-B8F3-D923BC90EA19.jpeg

Last edited:
This is how I picked it up. Now my winter bike. Don’t worry: I’ve got rid of all the bits and sorted the bar tape 😀
Nice frame actually: “Deda Replica” tubing. I believe custom made by a small producer/talented amateur. The club ride purists will approve of what appears to be a home-made sprayguard rivetted on the back.
View attachment 808221
9E600F22-9129-4236-AAD6-B7C7C7B6C50B.jpeg
My other winter bike⬆️

I rode this for a couple of years IMG_3889.jpeg

I’ve been riding pretty much just this one over the last year summer and winter. Some Schwalbe CX tyres instead of slicks and some raceblades and I’ve got a pretty versatile bike. Was my cycle2work scheme purchase back in 2016. IMG_3890.jpeg

Well she isn't in winter clothes here because she's also my touring bike. winter has mudguards, 1 bottle and lots of random bits of inner tube to cover essentials.

C2IMmHBngKuINunM4kBUWYvgt25skzXmiUXXsDmcsA8-2048x1536.jpg

Back