Servicing 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC's

takkischitt

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi folks

I recently stripped down my '96 Kona Explosif and want to breath life back in to the Rock Shox Judy XC's to keep the bike as original as possible. So far, I have removed the elastomers and, unsurprisingly, they are gone. I haven't checked the oil damper cartridge yet, but there's a fairly high chance it's mangled too, saying as the forks had seized up. There doesn't seem to be any corrosion of major damage to the legs or anything.

So here's what I'm wondering...

• ►Could anyone give me some advice as to my best course of action to get these going again?
    ►Should I put springs in to them?
    ►Anyone know where I can get parts for them (I'm in UK)?
    ►Anything else I should check for?

scCHRAj.jpg

BITD I used to service my own Judys. Have you undone the Allen head bolt at the bottom of each fork leg and pulled the sliders off the stanchions? If you do this you'll be able to slather the legs in Judy Butter, or whatever the modern equivalent is, and that'll help keeping them moving.

However, feel free to ignore this advice as the last pair of Judys I had got sold at least 12 years ago!

Re:

1)
Strip and see what may/may not be wrong with them.

Only then think about the rest.

2) best thing to do

3) eBay, forums, pot luck at bike stores, a few web stores

4) part of question

Also a picture of the forks is actually far more useful than a picture of a frame ;-)

There is lots of useful info in the forum, search and ask. There is also lots of info I the archive&gallery

Back