Seat post stuck in frame

I've spent nearly all day cutting and filing out a too big seat post that some dunce forced into a frame. Definitely only for the determined, it works as a last resort but it's not fun.

For those wishing to avoid a repetitive strain injury, a reciprocating saw can be used - but use a wood blade - it will be hard enough to cut the aluminum, but will take a lot longer to cut into the steel of the frame.

My Roberts has been hooked up by its front wheel in the garage since giving it a clean back in October, came to get it ready for some summer racing and to my :oops: its stuck!!!, I feel your pain.

I'd tie some rope round your saddle and seatpost. tie it to your car tow hook if you have a car the tie another piece of rope round your cranks and BB making sure it secure then tie the other piece of rope round a metal steel gate or fence near the BB crank end then pull with your car until it comes out

this will take 2 people and oil before hand down your seatpost a day in advance :cool:

Its works ive tryed it and i saved the seatpost and saddle no damaged caused to any parts including alloy frame :D

racer x":1i38t4o1 said:
I'd tie some rope round your saddle and seatpost. tie it to your car tow hook if you have a car the tie another piece of rope round your cranks and BB making sure it secure then tie the other piece of rope round a metal steel gate or fence near the BB crank end then pull with your car until it comes out

this will take 2 people and oil before hand down your seatpost a day in advance :cool:

Its works ive tryed it and i saved the seatpost and saddle no damaged caused to any parts including alloy frame :D

That is truly mental. Love it...

f89c0d8f.png

racer x":3jdfvsuj said:

A slightly less dramatic version would be a ratchet strap around the saddle and crank it tighter. We use them a lot in work for pulling stuff apart or pulling things together.

my method is fairly simple albeit similar to LGF's method.

if you weld a lump of box section onto the end of the stuck post you can clamp the frame upside down in a vice and gradually wrench / hammer the post back and forward with the biggest lever you can find. (i used a scaffolding pole slipped inside the box and the post shifted with very little effort!!!) the bonus to clamping the frame upside down is you can hammer down on the box section to draw the post out.

admittedly not everyone has access to a welder so this isn't a method for everyone but it does work without the need for potentially damaging the frame with excess heat / cold or saw blades.

Ye i can remeber the seatpost made a popping sound as it came out with ease with the Turbo no wheel spin though :LOL:

I was sh*ting my self holding the bike as my other half was driving the seatpost out with the car :LOL:

you have to have some good rope minimum of 6mm diameter 8s good or it will snap and dont tie round the frame as it could crack or dent

saddle seatpost BB and cranks are all good to tie round :cool: liking the pic by the way that was the idear :LOL:

But no ones mentioned an old remedy?. strip post down of bits once its been all plus gassed for while till you're happy then take a good mallet or something sim?.hold/cup frame some how then give head of post a great sharp whack down so that it breaks bond between ali/steel called electolisis caused by not enough if any grease!. have done this before once after twating stupid thing for ages then thought haaaa did that and boing out it came
it's the opposite of what you think but works

Back