Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

Rod brakes can be scary in the rail on a steep hill. Which is why I have put a better brake on my mount for the Bravo Scozia

Note the diabolically cunning modification to rod brake handlebars to use cable brakes.

I was thinking of taking an MTB for this, but I've decided to paint myself blue and ride a woad bike. :facepalm:

Here, ye might need this,
e14552.gif

Despite the stupidity of it I'm leaning back toward my 6o's shopper bike for this. Just nabbed some 16 x 1 3/8" NOS milled steel rimmed wheels which shod with Raleigh Records should make a rugged wheelset. Milled rims will improve the braking, especially if I use leather faced brake blocks. I've ridden a brompton off road before and they can handle the rough better than you think.

Its one of these minus the rear rack:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ke_com.JPG
I'll be connecting the rear axle to seatpost with a couple of tubular steel struts to support the long seatpost as I fear this to be a weak point.

velomaniac":atdc8opu said:
Despite the stupidity of it I'm leaning back toward my 6o's shopper bike for this. Just nabbed some 16 x 1 3/8" NOS milled steel rimmed wheels which shod with Raleigh Records should make a rugged wheelset. Milled rims will improve the braking, especially if I use leather faced brake blocks. I've ridden a brompton off road before and they can handle the rough better than you think...

I've ridden a bit of that sort of stuff on small wheels, so I have previous as it were.

I'd agree that the wheels would handle it ok, but I think you will be making the ride into a less than enjoyable experience. There's portions of those tracks that rattle my teeth even on the fatbike - you can of course do them slowly, but they're otherwise nice downhill bits.

I suggest you have a Plan B bike. :)

I've got a plan B bike and a plan C but my wee CWS shopper just keeps calling to me. It'll be extensively tested though with lots of landrover track etc. Further, mtbs might be out but riding a bike like a mtb is still allowed ie out the saddle with knees elbows flexed. I'm not into speed anyway so not worried about slow and I've got a great old mattress sprung saddle in the parts bin.
I'll probably be sensible and go B or C but as its ages away yet there's plenty time to experiment !

Latest posts

Back