Rugby World Cup

MASSIVE Welsh fan here - and I agree with Alain Rolland's decision.

I admit that, at the time it happened, I (like many many others, not just Welsh fans) thought that it was a ridiculous and completely unfair decision.

However, after reading the rules which have been copied and pasted in various forums and on to various websites, Rolland was completely right to give Sam the red card, as he clearly let go of and dropped the player after he had been lifted off his feet. There was no malice in the tackle, but he broke the laws of the game nonetheless.

What is frustrating is the fact that, had this been another referee, or another player in another match, then we may have seen a yellow card, rather than red. I'm not saying that Rolland was being unfair, I'm simply saying that different referees can (and do) interpret and deal with dangerous tackles in different ways - something which definitely needs to be clarified.

As has been already mentioned, Wales still could have won the game with 14 men, if it wasn't for the fact that their kicking wasn't up to scratch. Still, they have played better, more dynamic and more exciting rugby than I've seen them play since their 2008 6N Grand Slam and long may that continue. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. Warburton is without doubt the Captain that the team have needed for the past couple of years.

6N Grand Slam in 2012? Going by the performance of the other 5 teams in the World Cup (and assuming that Wales continue their current form) then I'm fairly confident.

Gatland was a fool to say that he'd considered faking an injury to another prop to even up the scrums by making them uncontested, even though he promptly ruled it out.

If ever this situation does happen again and there are genuine injuries to the Welsh front row will anyone believe that it's not being done deliberately? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

As mentioned above, I am a fierce Wales supporter so take my comments as you will. However, were this a coach of another team, I'd say the same thing because anybody who follows rugby knows that it's not the first time that cheating has been considered by a coach, even though no cheating has actually taken place.

gerryattrick":1nnrtwz0 said:
Gatland was a fool to say that he'd considered faking an injury to another prop to even up the scrums by making them uncontested, even though he promptly ruled it out.

If ever this situation does happen again and there are genuine injuries to the Welsh front row will anyone believe that it's not being done deliberately? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gatland was only saying what every single other top-flight rugby coach thinks anyway. Cheating to some degree or another is rife within the sport - the most obvious example that springs to mind being 'bloodgate' a couple of years ago.

All top level and international teams will try absolutely anything to give them a competitive edge. Take England's ball-switching at this years World Cup, or Wales' illegal lineout ball in this years Six Nations game against Ireland (although that was as much down to poor refereeing as anything, as the touch judge told the ref that it was the correct ball).

NONE of the teams put the ball in straight in a scrum for example - they feed it to their front row. Technically that's cheating in order to gain a competitive edge. When was the last time you saw the hookers contesting for a ball (no smutty jokes please ;))...?

Gatland perhaps should have kept his mouth shut - however I think he should be applauded for his honesty, and for the fact that he clearly did not cheat, even though it was one of the options open to him. A different coach could well have pulled a Prop off the field so that they could have uncontested scrums. It's been done before and there's no doubt that it will be done again.

The IRB are just making themselves look ridiculous by launching a full investigation into a non-event. It's clear that no cheating took place. In fact, Wales were one of the cleanest teams in the World Cup. I'm sure that a lot of the players have thought about punching another player in the face during the match - will the IRB investigate that too?

I find it ridiculous that one of Rugby's governing bodies is going to waste time and money investigating a coach and his thoughts. They can't take any action against it, because nothing happened. No cheating took place, and they sure as hell can't fine/suspend him for having thoughts..?!

I don't deny that it was a silly thing for him to say, and yes, people probably will think that Wales are cheating if that situation were to arise in future. But that's all it was, silly. It's not worth a full-blown investigation and the IRB now just look like a bunch of Muppets.

I thought it was a fantastic game, full of passion, great tackles, and some mistakes.

France were pretty awesome - fantastic defence from both sides. And a touch of class from Lievremont, winning the toss for choice of shirts and choosing white, stating "It's the world cup final, in New Zealand. They should be in black."

grahame":3h38gp28 said:
I thought it was a fantastic game, full of passion, great tackles, and some mistakes.

Agree. I wanted the French to win. :cry:

I was surprised how strong the french were, I think the All Blacks were too!!!

Well done to them though, they thoroughly deserved it

Thought it was an awesome game. New Zealand absolutely crapped themselves. France is/are the most unpredictable team in the world and many in NZ would rather play any team other than the French. That All Black try was a Hansen special by the way, it was a move he often touted when he was the Welsh coach, its just that NZ are better finishers,

With 10 minutes to go and with French ball inside the NZ half I really believed that they were going to get field position to kick for glory. It just shows how good the All Blacks are at killing the game.

My final thoughts on the RWC and on the Final.

The myths about the Northern / Southern Hemisphere divide have been utterly smashed.

The most deserving and passionate Rugby Team won the Tournament BUT on just that final match performance the most deserving, determined and passionate Team lost.

Brilliant RWC bring on the 6 nations

Latest posts

Back