Route planning in addition to Google.

I use OS Maps to plan routes as often they are a combination of roads/bridleways/tracks which Google isn’t great at joining together. There’s a great function on it where you can slide the elevation scale along to find out where the hills are, it won’t show in the screen shot but gives you the elevation in feet at the location. It’s been the deciding factor in which direction to attack some of the loops I plan. I prefer to get climbing done first if possible. I’m new to using tech for cycling so still learning. I send it to a garmin for on the route which scares me with alerts for climbs coming up!

Also use https://cafes.cyclingmaps.net/ to plot any breaks in, hats off to the person who started and maintains it!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Google maps will show you the topography but not the gradient. As I am quite low powered and my gears are 52-40 and 11-28 I have to be careful of anything too steep.

I've been using ridewithgps.com for some years now. It's got a couple of issues that I've found, firstly it tends to err on the low side where gradients are concerned and secondly it makes some weird assumptions as to the route that should be taken between way points. The second can be avoided by changing the activity mode and setting it to avoid using cycling infrastructure - that's if you prefer to go directly from A to B over a 20 mile trek along cycle paths via C, D and E to get to the same place. As far as the hills are concerned, I work on anything it rates at more than 5% is going to take some work and that 10% is more likely to be closer to 15 and at my age and weight will require a good rest when I've reached the top.

I love using the Sustrans routes when planning rides as much as possible and can use the routes to link up with the Ridgeway and South Downs Way. They use both on and off road cycle paths and Canal towpaths, the on road sections are very quiet so really safe car free cycling. Normally very well signed though can lose the signs in built-up areas near towns as the street furniture gets replaced with new road works etc so Google maps is a handy backup 👍

Screenshot_20241017-100753.png

Last edited:
Back