RIP Pre-Trek Klein Sea & Sky...

marin man":3rxopuv1 said:
Yes you have a point but aluminium can be worse :shock: it will only bend once and then snaps :shock: I have had a pair of alloy risers snap on me and the broken bit pinned my hand to the deck :shock: I still have the scars to prove it :LOL: but they have made aeroplane wings out of the stuff ;) so somebody must trust it hey :?: I have had a carbon avon fishing rod for twelve years and last year landed a 23.8lb river carp on it no probs,carbon rocks ;)

Why did I bother going to 4 years of materials science lectures when you've summed it all up so well in one succint post? Of course one might compare the likely failure modes of an indentical carbon sructure versus a steel one. Why bother though if you've been hooking brown trout with your rod - that's all the proof anyone needs.

Funny how your wheels lasted so well given they've not been used much :LOL: ;)

Shame spinergys have already been on the cool wall.

The construction theory you have about them not exploding is complete tosh as spins are similarly constructed and many of them are no longer true Rolling Eyes

Bzzzt! Spins were moulded carbon-reinforced thermoplastic, a bit like an STS. Spinergies are bits of flat carbon stuck together. Not the same stuff, not the same construction.

The rims have not worn through as I use a softer compound brake pad and look after my stuff:roll:

Softer compound, is it? EPIC TRIBOLOGY FAIL.

and if you can provide any direct photographic evidence of a mtb spinergy failure then I am willing to listen

You listen to photographs? I never took a picture of the shattered wheel I had in my hand, I'm afraid. You're keen on focussing on the failure thing, but let's turn it around - what benefits do your Spinergies have over a conventional spoked wheel? And you're not allowed "looks" because that's purely subjective. Or "aerodynamics" because there's a 2in knobbly tyre wrapped around the outside.

I'll ignore the bit where you basically accuse me of lying, because hey, you put a winky smiley on so that means you can say what you like, right?

[/quote]

Back