RIP Pre-Trek Klein Sea & Sky...

gump":3ubrrz39 said:
marin man":3ubrrz39 said:
Also,argumentative child,......

Lets keep the personal insults out of this site, and leave this thread at least vaguely on topic

Indeed.

Here are a few links for the Spinergy fanboys

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-020/index.html

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/2009/02/spinergy-rev-x.html

http://fixedgearbikes.blogspot.com/2009 ... broke.html

wheel.jpg

That took 30s on google to find. Sure there are more.

The rims will wear through if you ride (esp in mud) if you clean it or not. Unless of course you clean your bike several times throughout the ride in which case chapeau to you monsiuer.

gump":2elhdayx said:
marin man":2elhdayx said:
Also,argumentative child,......

Lets keep the personal insults out of this site, and leave this thread at least vaguely on topic

Apologies, I think my reference to carbon as 'plastic' was slightly inflamatory.

I personally wouldn't put a single piece of carbon on a mountainbike but I know lots of people do without issues. In terms of pure cosmetics I feel that spinergys just don't sit right with any MTB, the Klein there is no exception.

The first link in johns post shows the original litigation company advert Notice how the image has been removed ;)
The second post shows a wheel in pieces on a road bike not an mtb and be sure to read the comments and not just look at the pictures ;)
The third post has no circumstances describing what happened so how are we to know that it was not ran over by a car :?: :?:

Really grabs coat and all belongings and emigrates :LOL:

(anyone can upload damaging photos on the internet ;) )

marin man":3q2ep08l said:
The first link in johns post shows the original litigation company advert Notice how the image has been removed ;)
The second post shows a wheel in pieces on a road bike not an mtb and be sure to read the comments and not just look at the pictures ;)
The third post has no circumstances describing what happened so how are we to know that it was not ran over by a car :?: :?:

Really grabs coat and all belongings and emigrates :LOL:

(anyone can upload damaging photos on the internet ;) )

You make a persuasive case. Spinergys rule and I'm going order a few sets, one for each of my bikes.

Of course the truth probably lies somewhere betwen your view and that on the website linked. Do you accept any of the failed spinergys were mtb sets or not? To turn the tables do you have any proof there have been no mtb spinergy failures outside crashes and accidents? Also do you have any proof your spinergys have been ridden? If the four spoke spinergys were so sweet and reliable then surely spinergy would've sold a load more and they'd still be making them? How might you exlpain that one?

Thanks for the PM too by the way, if you want to discuss this we can do so here ;)

All I can add is I have seen no mtb spinergys that have been broken by anything other than misuse and that the reason that spinergy stopped making the rev x in all its incarnations is because their use was banned in mass start events,therefore their professional use was banned and most sets were ridden by sponsored riders! This made there manufacture uneconomical (plastic tat or not) they were not banned in single start races like time trials etc. though,so some were still made after the ban for about two years infact.The reason that they were eventually discontinued was due to progress..... technology marches on as you know,the spectrum and amiga computers,when they first came out,were ahead of their time but r and d eventually make everything obsolete.no prosecutions were ever upheld against spinergy corps.So if the design was essentially to blame then fault would have been laid at their door would it not :?:
The pictures that are to be seen on the internet are the same old images that have been about for a considerable time and none of them contain any valid explanation as to how they collapsed or "exploded".
Any body can scare monger about anything as you should know.I could break something with a hammer and then upload an image to the internet,youtube etc.and if no explanation is published with it then people will look at the pictures and jump to their own conclusions as generally people do not bother to read what is written under a picture and we are all guilty of that :oops: I just think that if one has not had direct experience that one can prove then an open mind should be kept.We all know that "shit sticks"No matter who wins a case.Thanks and good night.

The thing is though the failure isn't 'progressive' like it is with a normal spoked wheel

I've seem BMX wheels VERY bent after being cased on coping from 6/7ft out but they weren't shattered, okay, unrideable but stuff you can walk away from.

The failure in a picture like that would make me concered, carbon does bend a lot but it's carnage if it lets go!

Yes you have a point but aluminium can be worse :shock: it will only bend once and then snaps :shock: I have had a pair of alloy risers snap on me and the broken bit pinned my hand to the deck :shock: I still have the scars to prove it :LOL: but they have made aeroplane wings out of the stuff ;) so somebody must trust it hey :?: I have had a carbon avon fishing rod for twelve years and last year landed a 23.8lb river carp on it no probs,carbon rocks ;)

John":1erlosos said:
You make a persuasive case. Spinergys rule and I'm going order a few sets, one for each of my bikes.

Of course the truth probably lies somewhere betwen your view and that on the website linked. Do you accept any of the failed spinergys were mtb sets or not? To turn the tables do you have any proof there have been no mtb spinergy failures outside crashes and accidents?

Also do you have any proof your spinergys have been ridden?

Thanks for the PM too by the way, if you want to discuss this we can do so here ;)

marin man got his spinergy wheels NOS earlier this year from the states or some where he said so they are 10 years old and new :roll: :roll: :roll: and hardly used

thats all im saying and im scarpering off now ;) :oops: :oops:

You toe rag :LOL: :LOL: I never said that I had these ones for ten years anyway I said "ten years old" and they were not n.o.s they had been used ;) Maybe not that much though ;) My old ones were excellent and I had them for ages until I sold them and no real problems other than a split rim joint that was entirely my fault :oops: and not spinergies fault at all ;) all my previous posts stand as fact ;)
Now roll over and have your tummy tickled little danny boy ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back