Ridgeback 703DX 1990 survivor

markjohnson76

Saracen Fan
Thought I'd share a couple of bikes I found recently. I think this one is the nicest! I love the 1990-1992 era bikes, especially British ones. Also have a love on black rims and tan walls, so when this popped up on gumtree I thought I'd take a look. Ad only had two poor photos but I took a drive anyway and was presented with this little beauty. I think they're pretty rare? I knew of Ridgeback bikes obviously but I'd assumed they were an american brand, not British.

Totally stock though perhaps the pedals should have been DX? Either way, apart from pedals it's full DX with a nice prestige frame and mint Araya RM20 black rims. Even the Madison tyres are original. Everything working and tight, frame is good but a few storage marks. Glad I made the trip to take a look! I bought it from the original owner who was moving house and had to clear his garage out. After a bit of light use this bike (and a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper Comp with equally light use) was stored away and forgotten about.

Anyone had one of these? Can't be many around. I've seen the great rebuild thread by the guy who converted the 701LX to a 703DX. Other than that no info. Anyway, one for the Ridgeback fans. Looking forward to giving it a clean and tidy. The photos are as found.

Attachments

• IMG_E8563.jpg
    IMG_E8563.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_E8562.jpg
    IMG_E8562.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_E8561.jpg
    IMG_E8561.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_E8559.jpg
    IMG_E8559.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_E8558.jpg
    IMG_E8558.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_E8557.jpg
    IMG_E8557.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_E8556.jpg
    IMG_E8556.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_E8555.jpg
    IMG_E8555.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 683
Re:

That should mint up quite easily. I share your enthusiasm for black rims and tan wall tyres :cool:

Re:

I like this , it's the sort of bike that takes me back to when bikes looked great...

Take it back.... I love this!

Yeah, real nice and looks like it'll clean up a treat. Just how you'd want to find one...

I grew up getting the Madison / Ridgeback catalogue through the door in my early teens and as such Ridgebacks from this period were the bikes I lusted after. Seeing this has triggered a twinge of nostalgia and I'll definitely be on the look out for something similar now...

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":3ld81sb6 said:
I like this , it's the sort of bike that takes me back to when bikes looked great...

Take it back.... I love this!

Exactly. Beautiful understated rare bike that rides fantastic.

Re:

Love it.

I'm totally Biased of course! - owning a 1990 Ridgeback myself.
The 1990 model year was a great looking line up, classic drawl worthy stuff from that year's freewheel catalogue.

Definately a rarity! - Enjoy! :cool:

boy"O"boy

Back