Retrobikes of the future ?

I don't think bikes as an investment is a good idea really- there are much better ways to invest. As for the bikes we covet now?... It's down to age of the buyer. Our age group lusts after the stuff from our yoof- only a few bikes will remain valuable whilst the rest will just go back to being old cheep bikes again.
Example- in the early-mid 90's I sold loads of MGBs for silly money to 30somethings who lusted for them as kids. Now you can't give them away and the new 30somethings want a mint Golf GTi, Audi Quattro or Integrale instead. A good E-type or Ferarri is still worth a bit as would be a vintage Yeti, Cunningham or Potts, but I feel that the Fats and Paces we pay silly money for now will be the MG Midgets and TR6s of the future. Nice but almost worthless.

Surely a On-One 853 will be the Explosif of the future...as will most On-Ones I suppose....for whatever reason they seem to have a reputation far exceeding their actual quality....good price I guess.
Cough ** no disrespect to On-One owners or the brand :LOL:

Harryburgundy":19vg5mxq said:
Surely a On-One 853 will be the Explosif of the future...as will most On-Ones I suppose....for whatever reason they seem to have a reputation far exceeding their actual quality....good price I guess.
Cough ** no disrespect to On-One owners or the brand :LOL:

Agree with you Mr Wineman, On-One 853 is the one to get which the value will go up, it have cult status and popular with british mtb's.

Keep your eye and see how this frame will sell on ebay, only a few days to go and it's looking good for seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/On-One-Inbred-853 ... 3efd19afa9

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
On-One, cult classic of today and will be a retro classic, get a new or good nick white inbred and stow it away for 20 years ;)

On One? Oh come on, it's the Daewoo Matiz of mountain biking. Cheap, mass produced, disposable lump of rubbish from the far east. They are popular because they are cheap. They ride like a collection of scaffold pipes clashed together in a sweat shop- which is what they are.
Classic? Cult? In Singletrackworld maybe.
Real world?
Nope.

For older suspension bikes: The ones that worked reasonably well and were solid enough designs to remain unchanged for several years until they got disc mounts, whch I think will be a deciding factor in future. Can't see "The Kids Of Today" wanting to use V-brakes on their future-retro bikes. So the San Andreas, Heckler, Superlight, Turner.

Probably Cannondale Ravens, too. Even though a lot of them were recalled, the technology was pretty advanced (too advanced??) for the time, and they still have that "Wow!" factor, even if it's just as a wall-hanger.

The F-series Cannondales? The frame went through several iterations, but most of the range shared the same frame each year. So any model would be worthy of buying as a retro frame and pimping out in your choice of components.

Dead cert: This year's fillet-brazed Pace with the polished rear stays.

Custom builders with good online visibility and "drool factor" = Vanilla, Groovy, Coconino, Black Sheep. And obviously the few with a priceless heritage who are still making frames, like Potts, Erikson, Moots etc. etc.

Modern full sussers: The few who are confident enough in their products that they don't follow "year models" etc. So Turner (again), Ibis and DEFINITELY Nicolai.

Add in Brooklyn Machine Works, anything by Frank The Welder (Spooky, Sinister etc.).

And the Sunn BmiX.... which I hope they'll re-introduce this year, as they have Anne-Caro riding for them again, as their BMX consultant.

Dr S":3l1lt10n said:
On One? Oh come on, it's the Daewoo Matiz of mountain biking. Cheap, mass produced, disposable lump of rubbish from the far east. They are popular because they are cheap. They ride like a collection of scaffold pipes clashed together in a sweat shop- which is what they are.
Classic? Cult? In Singletrackworld maybe.
Real world?
Nope.

:LOL: Doctor S, they might be crap to you, the point of this topic is 'retrobike bike of the future' :roll: and On-One 853 is one of them because they are rare and made a limited of them, if this one on ebay make more than £150, I rest my case ;)

If On-One never make another 853 again, it will be interesting the value will be in 10 years time :cool:

On Ones are rare? On the moon they might be. If it sells for more than £150 I'll show you a fool. You can buy a new one for less. As for ten years time they will be rare- they are bought as hacks and thrashed to death- a disposable item like a toothbrush or Korean car. Raleigh Mustangs were cheap and are now rare as hens teeth but they don't sell for as much as a decent hot meal when they show up on eBay.
I know they have their fans but classics they ain't. One of the worst frames I've ever riden.
Please don't buy a load of them as a retirement plan dude :?

Not going for the mega rare bikes as if you look through members bikes most of them were accessible. My vote (suprise, suprise) goes to the Orange Five. :roll: ;)

Refined over the years to become a 10 out of 10 everytime it's tested. :D

brocklanders023":14rltu6s said:
Not going for the mega rare bikes as if you look through members bikes most of them were accessible. My vote (suprise, suprise) goes to the Orange Five. :roll: ;)

Refined over the years to become a 10 out of 10 everytime it's tested. :D

at last some common sense. Not a fan myself but deffo a classic design with a loyal following.

Back