Retrobike Touring.

I've not done a multiday ride before so I'm planning a test/intro trip. NCN45 from Salisbury to Avebury, then turn right onto the Ridgeway to Streatley and home by train. Two days riding, roughly 40-50 miles a day.
The bike is fine, I think, the main thing I'm working out is what bags I need on the bike. I'm thinking of making some based on learnmyog.com patterns.

Sounds like a nice route, what bike are you taking ?
Merlin Malt. The Brooks saddle I've had for years, and newly fitted On-One Geoff bars and Billy Bonkers tyres, mean it's very comfortable and rolls nicely on lanes and tracks.
Making your own bags, hats off to you !
I make my clothes for reenactment so I'm moderately handy that way, but I just realised that being a Saxon reenactor I haven't made anything with zips before!

As an alternative the Wild Country Zephyros is worth a look and definitely well-proven by many people.

@KayOs looks like a super route. German river routes are always wonderful, did a week along the Rhine (somewhere upthread) with the family in 2016 or 17, and the Danube / Donau in Germany in 1999.

As an alternative the Wild Country Zephyros is worth a look and definitely well-proven by many people.

@KayOs looks like a super route. German river routes are always wonderful, did a week along the Rhine (somewhere upthread) with the family in 2016 or 17, and the Danube / Donau in Germany in 1999.
We also travelled the Danube once, but only from Passau to Budapest. You can't go wrong there if you want to take a leisurely tour.
I can also only recommend the Palatinate Forest. There are wonderful MTB routes, great trails and of course delicious food and nice people 😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back