Retrobike Touring.

Have some weight on your arms, and more than one hand position - bar ends are good so you can rotate your wrists/hands - the arms work better that way.
High cadence - 3 pedals a second
Get out of the saddle every mile or two, if even just for 20 pedal strokes - gives your muscles a chance to stretch and helps avoid saddle soreness.
Watch out for the high bar though, it puts more weight on your backside.
And Brooks saddles usually take some breaking in.

A soft or cheap saddle isn't usually comfortable over distance - but cycling shorts help (hidden under trousers if necessary) over 30 miles plus.

Scotland in July?
You'll be begging for rain, to wash the midges away. Keep moving!!!
I’ve just received some of this in the post!

Some adaptions done, it’s not pretty! 🫣
Trying an adjustable stem that I forgot I had, riser bars , straight seat post, new saddle and rack. Now I need to get out and see if the back pain benefits outweigh the style negatives haha. Will have bar ends but I’m not putting those esi grips back on until I’m certain

Attachments

• IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Some adaptions done, it’s not pretty! 🫣
Trying an adjustable stem that I forgot I had, riser bars , straight seat post, new saddle and rack. Now I need to get out and see if the back pain benefits outweigh the style negatives haha. Will have bar ends but I’m not putting those esi grips back on until I’m certain
Functional has its own beauty.
I'm sick of catalogue projects with slammed stems. It all just becomes a bike cleaning competition.

These are the wheels I’ve currently got on the bike, think they came from a 95 Marin. Assuming the rims aren’t worn (which I need to check…metal ruler on the rim surface?) do you think they are up to the job? Going to be carrying a fair bit of weight , mainly me, but also 2 panniers etc. don’t want them imploding half way!
IMG_3680.jpeg

No sign of cracking round the spoke holes, which is usually the way Mavics fail - should be fine.

I rode the US Pacific Coast with camping gear on Mavic 231s and 32H hubs. The rear gave out some years later when the sidewall cracked from wearing thin. I've run 231 ever since, although nowadays with a 36 on the rear.

Wheels should be fine, it's the spokes & tension that are most important; ie the 'build' quality.
It's quite amusing that since touring has become in vogue with the hipster bunch, touring can now be done on carbon race bikes, with carbon wheels with only 14 spokes & you don't needs racks or carriers with panniers, but just an oversized saddlebag & a frame pack. Genius!

An old MTB with generous chainstay length is ideal.

Your rims look fine. You've chosen a sensible distance for a week. Not too much strain on your steed, or yourself. If you forget anything let me know. Ideas on your route?

Back