Retrobike Touring.

Re:

Sold a few bits so treated myself. About a kilo lighter and so much better constructed than the vango tempest with similar space. Porch at both ends. You can feel the quality.

9fcb876f95ac1a1a30c3d81020e5f5ed_zpsmtvodjnw.jpg

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Sounds a bit anal but on only three items, tent, sleeping bag and inflatable mat I've cut over 2 kilos. That's without leaving behind all the unnecessary stuff I didn't use.

What bike are you riding? I'm building up an early 80's Saracen conquest as a tourer at the moment and would live to see some pics of what you are planning to ride.

Not retro but steel bespoke 29er. Did a few days a month ago. Now weight watching for next tour. One thing I did go heavy on is cooking pots. The light thin ones I took the first time suffered central hotspots that burnt anything other than simmering water.

42d9cda635a4a741285370b92f80f5fd_zpsjjxg7l0i.jpg

That's a good looking and capable bike, must be a treat to ride fully laden. Can I ask what steel is it made from and who the manufacturer is? My Conquest is going a slightly different route in that I'm planning to use some large gauge steel Steco racks and stainless mudguards, so, possibly a bit more mud-proof and heavy.

I know what you mean about light weight pots. Ally pots may tick the weight box but you have to keep continuously stirring them. One idea is titanium pots as ti is such a poor conductor of heat that it tends to spread heat better without adding too much weight.

By the way that's a lovely looking pub. If it's yours I'd be tempted not to leave and if it isn't yours I'd camp up on the front lawn!!

Columbus Thron. Builder: coastroadcycles.com He's on here.

Tent is looking good mate and dropping a couple of kilos out of the original weight from last time is always a wise move although it is a shame about the light pans not being much upto their intended job but glad to see you've got a heavy set of pans available even it is a slight ste backwards on the weight scale but sometimes these things can't be helped but at least the trusty steed is more than up to the task ;) ..

Trying to think where else I can shave a bit off. Sporks x 2 and an opinel knife for prep. I bought a cheap plastic mug as a lot lighter than the thick stainless one. Titanium stuff is nice but out of my budget. Lightweight mallet, thinking flip flops as second pair of shoes. Military can opener. Tested it and it's fine fir the odd tin that doesn't have a ring pull.

Re:

2 kilos is a pretty worthwhile saving.

With regards to thin cooking pots and hot spots, what stove are you using? I have a little butane gas stove and the flame is quite controllable, such that I've never really had an issue with hot spots.

And as for can openers, I find the one on Victorinox pen knives works really well and I can open a can pretty much as quickly as I can with a proper kitchen one.

100-095-01_01.jpg

Back