Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

I wouldn't bother with going to 9 speed. You would then have to replace the wheels at it's 7 speed IIRC. I'd probably switch to thumbies for reliability and spend most of my efforts on getting the fit and comfort spot-on.

It's a great start for a tourer though.

hamster":hujk0m20 said:
I wouldn't bother with going to 9 speed. You would then have to replace the wheels at it's 7 speed IIRC. I'd probably switch to thumbies for reliability and spend most of my efforts on getting the fit and comfort spot-on.

It's a great start for a tourer though.

I'll have a look at that as the wheels are both solid and in good condition.

I have some 7 speed thumbies here, I'd just need to get a new cassette. Both mechs would still need changing though, as the Alivio mechs are not very robust and there is a lot of pressed metal where I would normally expect to see solid alloy.

The Alivio ones are bent steel - ugly but tough! I'd run them to destruction. While they are heavier than XT, that matters less on a tourer as you'll have other stuff on board.

On the wheels, another advantage of 7 speed is that it has less dish than 8/9/10 so building a tougher rear wheel. I run 7 speed on my tourer (11-28 rear with 24/38/47 front) which gives something low enough to haul a full camping load yet high enough top to take advantage of any tailwind.

Re:

Bikes all stripped down to little bits now.

Any thoughts on bars and bar widths?

I am thinking flat / mtb bars with bar ends to start with, but have a few widths to choose from.

I agree, a choice of hand positions is essential to stay comfortable.
Try what works best for you - probably around 550-600mm bars plus bar ends is a good start. I can't imagine that the modern fashion for super wide bars will be comfortable all day.

When loaded up the thing will handle like a truck anyway.

i've got some cosmetically rough scott AT4s if you decide to go that way

Re:

I think 600mm bars, with bars ends, just to give your hands some other positions than just the one.

May have mechs if you let me know what you want to put on it , Neil ;)

Mike

Re:

Thanks for the opinions and offers, I will get beck to you both.

The Trek is stripped down to a bare frame now, some polishing and painting to do and then it will be going back together.

hamster":3okiuijn said:
I agree, a choice of hand positions is essential.

Especially the one required for signalling the driver who passes way too close.

Re:

Glad I've found this thread :D

Just completed a small tour up to Scotland on my 1996\7 Marin

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_1118_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1118_1024.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 357

Latest posts

Back