RetroBike in decline?

mrkawasaki":3ovqkk0s said:
I know I am in decline...

Will be riding again this year and will probz re-launch the September Peaks ride, just for old time's sake.

- So I can keep hassling you about going down Cavedale instead?

LongboardSi":1tj9x6lg said:
mrkawasaki":1tj9x6lg said:
I know I am in decline...

Will be riding again this year and will probz re-launch the September Peaks ride, just for old time's sake.

- So I can keep hassling you about going down Cavedale instead?

Hassle away!

Re:

For those (sane people) who skipped my ludicrously lengthy previous reply I wanted to pull out a few of the things that are working right now:

Mountain Mayhem
Thanks predominantly to Nick, this is set to be the best year in some time, massive kudos and thanks are due.

Yorkshire rides
Kaya, Matthews, Longun and a few others are providing the consistency that allows these regular rides to flourish, kudos and thanks again.

Further south riding, organising and on the build threads Mike Muz is on fire, riding more and posting faster than I can keep pace with!

Kingbling is another great example of how folks can step up and put on the rides they'd like to be a part of. Sure there are plenty more I've missed too.

Looking back to my favourite period of RB, it's a similar story - the success of the National Series can be credited to the efforts and enthusiasm of drystonepaul and Mark Sinnett, which brought out forty and fifty riders at a time and caused me to destroy any notion of cycling being an environmentally friendly sport by driving thousands of miles to get to every event! :LOL:

It does feel like a period of change and the new faces are stepping up slowly but admirably. With the massive surge in interest on Facebook etc it should be a fantastic period of growth for the site, although it really would benefit from a bit more steering from the top right now.

Re:

Occurred to me whilst typing that, that a spruce up of the ride announcement thread could work wonders - if it was given priority at the top of the board and restricted to time/place/quick description/link to the relevant thread, with all subsequent discussion on that thread, it could be a simple way to boost ride awareness.

Eg

April 1st with the possibility of an overnight camp
Fools' Gold Ride
Cannock Chase
~15miles offroad
>Link to the thread<

Fun, sociable ride, few optional challenges but nothing too technical/scary. Carparking, cafe and bike wash.
Some folks keen to camp over Saturday night.

Re:

I'd like to add that I have listed a seaside ride on the Sussex coast, with Mike Muz; and I often post Lincolnshire Section V-CC (lightweight rides) on here (the Lincolnshire Section did not exist before I started it).

I have never had one RB member turn up on these interesting Lincolnshire rides - my posts often attract reasons why people can't ride !

Jon.

I think better integration of this site, with whichever facebook pages groups etc. would be good - along with twitter/instagram etc.

Easier said than done I'm sure, but rather than seeing them in opposition to each other I'm sure they could work together. FB can be great for organising events etc, but if it becomes the only means then obviously some people will miss out and I for one know that I'm on FB far less than I used to be (and back on here more...).

So - Mr K - Cavedale? maybe a 2 day event with an extra-gnarly route for those that are prepared to risk 20+ yr old aluminium frames on such escapades....

Maybe I should organise my own... (and still probably not get round to turning up for it... :oops: )

retrobike in decline ?
could it have anything to do with the know it alls posting essay length comments which only add to the confusion ?
maybe.

LongboardSi said:
I think better integration of this site, with whichever facebook pages groups etc. would be good - along with twitter/instagram etc.

This is getting very IT geek. I don't have any of that. IMO it's all rubbish. I visit this site and read the news. Otherwise i stay from computers.

Re:

IMO it's all rubbish. I visit this site and read the news. Otherwise i stay from computers.

Is it difficult to get a WiFi signal in the cave? :p

Joking aside, I work in IT and I don't Facebook or Twitter either.

A while back I did offer to build a bicycle specific classifieds section for the site that would allow you to add items under categories, so you could more easily find things by filtering according to criteria like Road, MTB, Cranks, Handlebars etc. and also allowing to filter by era, 1980s, 1990s and so forth. I even put together a little demo: http://host24.qnop.net/~drdev/AdBrowse.php, but Jon never got back to me about it.

Re:

A newbie here so who am I to comment. A pity the shop has gone as I would have bought a jersey for the Mountain Mayhem.

I would suggest when rides are being organized the general area/nearest town be given. Might help generate interest from the newbies who don't know everyone, their locations etc. Counties can be large (Rutland excepted)!

I don't Facebook or Twitter either.
Neither do I really, certainly not Twitter...isn't that over now anyway?

A while back I did offer to build a bicycle specific classifieds section for the site that would allow you to add items under categories, so you could more easily find things by filtering according to criteria like Road, MTB, Cranks, Handlebars etc. and also allowing to filter by era, 1980s, 1990s and so forth. I even put together a little demo: http://host24.qnop.net/~drdev/AdBrowse.php, but Jon never got back to me about it.

What a pity...would be a great facility.

Back