Retro tyres that actually work

RetroTyres.

Running IRC MythosXC (you know the £5 bikeman ones) on the front currently and found them perfectly fine and predictable.
Rear they where fine for general riding but in loose-is to chalky traversing found it a bit slippy.
I never used them BiTD, I assume they where a 1996 tyre ? (designed for used for the olympics @ Atlanta or so I've read)

Currently running Smoke-HC (quite a different tread to the Smoke) on the back instead and it the only tire I've had snake bike in a very long time (at the peaks) fine for general use but it seems to squirmy about a bit at the back and is a bit off putting, also on cornering it will sometimes suddenly bite or give. In the current slippy mud it's sort of ok.

One thing with old tyres is there alignment was generally terrible and getting both halves to line up didn't seem to be part of their quality control. Good to see all my recent modern purchases have no such problem

Onza Rip/Rail was great in the snow (used last winter)

I did use to run BiTD a IRC GeoClaw Lite on the front, but doubt you'll find a nice example are warn examples are hard to come by. I liked it in the summer month. Sidewall snot so stong and would tear at the slightest side of a brake block skimming them :roll:

iirc (vague memory now) I really liked the Tioga Psycho K , I'm sure I team that up with the GeoClaw

Panaracer Smoke-HC
i1i_hc_smk_21_blk_tread.jpg

Tiogo Psycho
g3gg_psycho_tread.jpg

IRC GeoClaw Lite
ll_geo_claw_tread.jpg

IRC MythosXC
photo-6.jpg

Onza Rip/Rail
P1030521.JPG
P1030522.JPG

BITD it was Smokes front and rear, nowadays it's WTB Velociraptors, or Ritchey Omega and Alfa Bite. Also the original Marin quake tyres from the Team Marin were pretty good too!

If you like 'slippers' then you'll like the Z max tyres , the omega and alpha are equally great tires depending on trail conditions.. :)

The new re-issue Z max's however for some reason dont seem to be as good grip wise for at least a couple of rides.. ? can't explain it , but they seem to need a few rides to bed in.. then they are ace.. :) just like the originals.. :)

Sithlord":fz6cnyz2 said:
If you like 'slippers' then you'll like the Z max tyres , the omega and alpha are equally great tires depending on trail conditions.. :)

The new re-issue Z max's however for some reason dont seem to be as good grip wise for at least a couple of rides.. ? can't explain it , but they seem to need a few rides to bed in.. then they are ace.. :) just like the originals.. :)

Si,

what pressure are you riding your reissue z-max tires?

+1 for smoke/smoke lite rear

Smoke/Dart combo was good too.

BITD I used to run Smoke Lite folders on the rear and 2.1 WCS Z-max on the front on the Dave Yates with RC30s and nearly all my riding was in the dark peak.

Then I discovered Specialized Hardpack 1.5s. And cracked the frame.

Back