Retro tyres that actually work

I am hoping the Geax Barro Muds 1.7" that I have now will be O.K on wet roots and in the slimey stuff.

bm0p700f":2mngff8m said:
I am hoping the Geax Barro Muds 1.7" that I have now will be O.K on wet roots and in the slimey stuff.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are truly aweful on wet roots. They have quite a low profile sidewall so you have to pump them up quite high = not a lot of grip. Plus the tread pattern does not extend over the shoulder so lateral grip is poor. I know who you used to work for so this will make sense to you.

chrisv40":38earx58 said:
+1 for Velociraptors.

IRC Mythos 1.95's are fantastic imho.

I was running an IRC on the back yesterday which I found very slippery whilst trying to ride over wet logs,what pressure were you running them at ?

Your rear tyre is a front pattern one though?
Awesome grip from my IRC Geoclaw at the rear yesterday, helped in no small way by my 14.5st bulk :D
Tioga psychos were/are good if memory serves, although anything that is made from 20 year old rubber isn't going to be as soft as it once was ;)

Back in the day I rated the Smoke/Dart combo (and you can keep in touch with your coloured tyre fetish too ;) ).
(Good ride yesterday BTW) :D
Stu

theredchili":3h8tvyku said:
chrisv40":3h8tvyku said:
+1 for Velociraptors.

IRC Mythos 1.95's are fantastic imho.

I was running an IRC on the back yesterday which I found very slippery whilst trying to ride over wet logs,what pressure were you running them at ?

I run a front on the rear facing in the direction it would on the front wheel.
No idea on pressure probably mid 30's.
I can't say I've ever found a tyre thats happy with wet logs, roots etc.

Fluffychicken has been using a Mythos front on the rear wheel but he has had it reversed and there is no noticeable difference in either set up.

Panaracer Dart comp 2.1 front and Yeti 'For Racing Only' rear is what I used to run on the Yeti when I raced. Will be using the same when its finished.

Have a selection of other retro (and modern :oops: ) tyres for the Manitou and Pace for MM next year ;)

Well Rekiborter, I see your points, it was a hope but the only real way to deal with wet roots is to 1) avoid them or 2) jump them (still working on that). There is a really limted choice in the 1.5-1.7" range. I thought there is/was a swable cross tyre but can't find it.

bm0p700f":2iws1zoq said:
Well Rekiborter, I see your points, it was a hope but the only real way to deal with wet roots is to 1) avoid them or 2) jump them (still working on that). There is a really limted choice in the 1.5-1.7" range. I thought there is/was a swable cross tyre but can't find it.

If you can find Schwalbe Black Shark 1.5's they are the dogs doo daas for a mud tyre.

Back