Retro tyres that actually work

Re: .

Grannygrinder":177wps3c said:
Your rear tyre is a front pattern one though?
Awesome grip from my IRC Geoclaw at the rear yesterday, helped in no small way by my 14.5st bulk :D
Tioga psychos were/are good if memory serves, although anything that is made from 20 year old rubber isn't going to be as soft as it once was ;)

Yeah a front ( fitted backwards)

Need to buy some modern amberwalls me thinks !

legrandefromage":1kke29c7 said:
Ritchey Alpha /Omega

+1

Used them for the first time ever on the Peaks ride and I thought they were great, even compared to modern tyres. Light too.

Fishers and the other swable distributors I have accounts with don't seem to list them. I have been looking as a 1.5" would be better for these rims.

I found the Mythos quite underwhelming when new, too rounded, stuff all cornering bite and not very progressive in sliding. Rolled well though, good for bikepath tech level XC racing. Also never had as many pinch flats until when I recently discovered Maxxis EXO casing (but thats another story...). I raced downhill and XC (with the focus on DH) and rode fairly tech trails so the mythos was not for me as I made time on turns and downs, not the climbs and flats.

Smoke and Dart S.C. were my favourites (but unfortunately weren't available long in Australia!).

Tioga Psychos were good but had weak sidewalls and I blew the bead out of quite a few. REALLY like the amber ones...more below about that.

Specialized tyres were in general robust and good cornering, but slow rolling despite being light.

Probably the only good coloured tyres I've used were amber Psychos - in fact, these were probably the best coloured tyre, nice solid side knobs and a SUPER tacky compound (52a) for that era, but on the downside built a bit light and prone to tearing knobs off, a couple of races at best for me- umma gumma grey Specialized rubber was decent, white Panaracer magic, smoke, dart were all good as was the grey Smoke/Dart Hardcore.

Onza Porcs were a reasonable soft condition and trials tyre, but hopelessly squirmy and sketchy in loose, dry conditions. Good for slalom on courses with loamy turns.

Hutchinson On-The-Rocks and Squale weren't bad but pricey. OTR was very popular with the downhillers here.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
"Wildslippers" :LOL: :LOL:

My personal favourites (in no particular order) were:

1. Panaracer Dart / Smoke
2. Conti Cross Country
3. Generalized Ground Controls

Don't forget that a lot of what makes a tyre 'good' or 'bad' in someone's opinion is down to riding style too. Just because someone swears by a particular tyre combo doesn't necessarily make it the best one for you.

For example, I used to absolutely love my Conti Cross Countrys, but a few of my friends wouldn't go anywhere near a set..!

racer x":1k00js4c said:
Panaracer smoke lite folding front and rear is the only way :D

My number one tire back in the day. Heck, I put them on the wife's ride. :D I'd keep away from Specialized or Tioga for the wet stuff.

I like my Dart Smoke combo, but also really liked the Spec Team Master/control. Have some Z-max wcs tires in 1.9, but they measure up as a 1.7. I like those for muddy days. Too bad I don't like muddy days ;)

Did someone use /test the reissue Z-max tires? Might buy a set of those for next year, cause I want to race my bikes again next year. Skinwalls and modern rubber, should be at least ok :LOL:

and I still think we should all ask specialized to make the anniversary ground control tires (also) in SKINWALL!!!!

Latest posts

Back