Retro then new then retro qgain (headset advice needed)

mackem

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hello, I've got a lovely old Orange P7. Originally it had a threaded headset and rigid fork. Then in 1995 I got a suspension fork for it and this needed an aheadset. Today I want to put a rigid (Orange F7) fork back on it. This fork is threaded. I know nothing about threaded headsets, just wondering if there was anything in the installation of the Aheadset that would stop me going back to a threaded system.

cheers.

there shouldn't be. so long as the stack height for the headset is compatible with frame & fork its just a case of swapping the cups over, put the crown race on the fork, grease up & fit.

some people may advise getting the headtubed faced / sized to ensure you get perfect alignment with the new headset but its not always needed from what i understand.

the threaded headset allows you to adjust the bearing tension by turning the top race against the bearings on the threaded part of the forks and then lock it off with the top nut. the ahead does away with this by compressing the top race down via a forced fit nut (star fangled nut) inside the forks therefore doing away with the need to thread forks and allowing you to have more steerer to raise the stem by use of spacers.
so to answer your question no just get the right size headset and away you go.

Back