Retro or Modern - What do we prefer riding?

Retro or Modern?

• Retro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, I own a 1988 Explosif, a 1995 Kilauea, and two RM Blizzards (1993 and 2006). The older Blizzard and the Kilauea are, however, in Greece (and unfortunately at the minute I'm not :( ) so the only two I have available here are the '06 Blizzard and the '88 Explosif.
Mostly I find myself using the Blizzard, especially this time of year. For technical, rocky and rooty stuff (with a few drop-offs etc thrown in), I think it's hard to beat.
Funnily enough, I'm more likely to use the Explosif if I'm riding with other people than when I'm out on my own. I suppose I just like to show people that a twenty year old bike (handicapped by a rider well past his prime !) can still do the business.

For all round enjoyment though I think the Blizzard gets my vote.

Here it is this afternoon.....

Attachments

• RM-Blizzard--1.jpg
    RM-Blizzard--1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,123
gump":rf49e2xk said:
New school is best for riding properly.
Case Closed :D

Old is fun, interesting, different, novel, a hobby. Not saying you can't ride the same things now on older bikes, but lets not kid ourselves bikes were actually better BITD.

I have to agree with Johns car thing - retro rides most of us build now are real top flite stuff. Comparable new school bikes must be the IFs/Seven/IBIS/Turner/Tune/Phil/King/Stans/I9 etc.. yet how many of us actually have new school bikes of equivalent std to the old? :?

For the riding I do, owning comparable level bikes from 1993 to 2007, and in a range of materials from Steel/Al/Ti, I agree 100% with Gump.

From a pure riding perspective I'll choose the my Turner 5 Spot over anything else including my other Turners. Sure the old stuff is great fun, but for real riding pleasure its the modern bike all the way for me.

Well.... considered I don't own a modern bike (yet), I'm likely to vote for old school. Keep in mind that I just love to ride a rigid bike and the latest bike I rode for a long time was a M900 specced '92 YO EDDY. Just love the geometry and handling of this bike. My latest bike (..wich offcourse I don't have yet ;) ...see GROOVY in progress) will be a 2008 GROOVY with a Rohloff speedhub and magura firmtechs and even some SPD pedals (made the switch just a month ago from straps and hooks :roll: ).
BUT, the Groovy will have the excact geometry specs as my '92 YO and will be Oldschool in a way but without being conservative (def. of retro?)
I have my reasons and philosophies for ridin' rigid and for not using disc brakes (didn't use SPD's cause they they didn't suit for the traveling I did)
Willing to try the speedhub because I just love the concept of these (mechs ans casstette's are really old fashioned :roll: ). Will let you guys know how it will work out.
I'll vote for Retro just because there is too much stupid and vulnerable stuff (27 speed/Full suspension CC bikes/brake-shifters combo's with a million parts....) on MOST new bikes IMHO.
Good Mountainbikes should give you the biggest amount of pleasure outdoors with the least amount of hussle on maintainance...
Happy trails Roy

Newest thing I've ridden is a '98 GT LTS 4000, therefore I shouldn't qualify to have a opinion, but I'll vote Retro anyhow!! Being a 4130 sort of guy, the ultra-chunky asthetics of most modern rides leaves me cold.....

I tend to favour modern kit with a retro flavour.

My current Glentress tool is a no name 7-8 year old alloy frame shod with 2" travel elastomer forks (RST 281R) V-brakes, 24 speed with thumb shifters and flat XC bars.

Nothing flashy and modern but all easily replaceable from current component stocks.

Best bike for special occasions only preferably in summer.

Worst bike for the mud of winter such as my Schwinn at Cannock.

Cheers

They way it works for me now is RTS for Retrobike meets and the occasional ride if its dry :cool: , Avalanche day in day out work horse ;)

Attachments

• DSCF3031[1].JPG
    DSCF3031[1].JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC00384.JPG
    DSC00384.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,030
This is my daily hack. Read into that what you will. ;)

DSCN3266.jpg

My old bikes - 1990 Cindercone and 1997 Hei Hei - go uphill faster than any of the new bikes I've had for the last 5 years - heckler, blizzard, genius, meta 5.

But the new bikes go down hill faster.......but living in North Wales, I tend to spend a lot of time going up hill!

On a really good day and in the groove on smooth singletrack, the old bikes can still keep up with the new ones.

And, if I'm out riding with the locals on their 5' travel freeriders, I'll be waiting for 5 minutes at the top of the hills but they'll only be waiting for one minute at the bottom!

So I'm eering towards retro .

Back