Retro or Modern - What do we prefer riding?

Retro or Modern?

• Retro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i think the car analagy isn't quite right, for example, the honda and the merina is quite fair, both considered "everymans" cars although the honda and the old porsche is a bit unfair i think. the porsche back then was expensive like it is today but the honda isn't considered an expensive car, civic's etc. sort of apollo verses yo eddy! unfair comparison!

the model t (ish) i think is a good analagy because like my bikes i feel it takes the best of both worlds- it's a modern car built to an older style chassis and body (regardless of whether it's original or re issue)

the way i see it is it's like when clarkson had the old e type on top gear and said yes, good in it's day but they lied about the performance! so they had them modified and then they were better, living up to the original spec that jaguar quoted! again, the best of both worlds.

i don't think you can say old is better than new or vice versa but personally i think mixing what you consider to be the best of both worlds is the best answer, whether it be new parts on an old frame or old parts on a new frame! life is about choices to suit your own riding style!!! i'm sure we all have bikes that we love but i'm sure that we'll always find someone who thinks it's a pile of crap but if it works for you that's all that matters! :D

Just do what I have done and never buy a new bike, problem solved :cool:

I will never get on a new bike 'cause I'm sure I'll want one

and

1- can't afford

2- haven't seen one that comes close, looks wise, to bikes from my era.

Ignorance is bliss (and cheaper!)

New school is best for riding properly.
Case Closed :D

Old is fun, interesting, different, novel, a hobby. Not saying you can't ride the same things now on older bikes, but lets not kid ourselves bikes were actually better BITD.

I have to agree with Johns car thing - retro rides most of us build now are real top flite stuff. Comparable new school bikes must be the IFs/Seven/IBIS/Turner/Tune/Phil/King/Stans/I9 etc.. yet how many of us actually have new school bikes of equivalent std to the old? :?

Pickle":1w7c9s0c said:
There is a fine line. A bike is there to be ridden, but when you think about the £££'s that has gone in to it and one wrong move could see it broken, you just dont want to risk it!! :LOL:

thats why I had to sell the Roberts DOGS BOLX - I was riding it too much. But I couldn't bare to see it hanging in the garage :cry:

gump":3ce2ebpd said:
I have to agree with Johns car thing - retro rides most of us build now are real top flite stuff. Comparable new school bikes must be the IFs/Seven/IBIS/Turner/Tune/Phil/King/Stans/I9 etc.. yet how many of us actually have new school bikes of equivalent std to the old? :?

A good point well made. And hence why you answered modern ;)

this year I bought a modern frame , hardtail , modern forks , disc brakes , new mech etc...

It rides nice, especially downhill and in bad weather . Uphill my M2 climbs better .

But I am now going to go with a retro frame , Litespeed , and modern stuff .

Best of both worlds then Chris ;)

I wasn't expecting this, as I type this reply we are split down the middle, 22 a piece on the votes :shock:

In the summer I tried a Scott Spark LTD , full sus with discs . less than 9.5kg .

The ride was just great .

But at £4000+ , it is not cheap .

cchris2lou":tz70usj4 said:
In the summer I tried a Scott Spark LTD , full sus with discs . less than 9.5kg .

The ride was just great .

But at £4000+ , it is not cheap .

As I said.
Case closed :)

jonnyboy666":lnzxgb3f said:
i think the car analagy isn't quite right, for example, the honda and the merina is quite fair, both considered "everymans" cars although the honda and the old porsche is a bit unfair i think. the porsche back then was expensive like it is today but the honda isn't considered an expensive car, civic's etc. sort of apollo verses yo eddy! unfair comparison!

I'd agree that if you take a similar level, i.e. compare a modern mid range Kona with one from back in 1992 then the 2008 will win hands down. However the marina / honda analogy was used as an absolute - new beats old. As gump points out most people are into high (or at least higher) end stuff which makes the honda / marina arguement fail somewhat.

Back