Retro/'old skool' skateboards - anybody got any....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Surely there are one or two here into these...?? I ask as I just picked up a job lot of decks at a car boot last week (for a quid!!) and having always wanted one, it's made me start researching all the brands, different types of deck, trucks, wheels, etc.... Fascinating, but also a minefield, much the same as retro MTB's I guess.

Any tips, hints, recommendations, memories from 'back in the day', things to look out for at the next car boot....? :LOL:

By the way, I've never even put a foot on a deck, so this could be a very interesting (and short lived) new hobby/fad :facepalm: :LOL:

(PS - how do you thoroughly clean a board? And what do you seal/polish it with....??!)

me and a few others. Any pics?

Still got the scars from downhill skateboarding in Plymouth haha

Wouldn’t bother sealing them, just a good scrub with warm water.

I still have my ‘88 Santa Cruz Jeff Grosso ‘Alice’ deck

Quite rare as it was pulled due to copyright issues

Attachments

• 65EFA64E-17D4-451E-9CFB-F818FBE8E4C4.jpeg
    65EFA64E-17D4-451E-9CFB-F818FBE8E4C4.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 693
I have often thought about getting a retro board, but know nothing about them.
Also, I fear it would be the start of another slippery slope.
Like the time some guy told me about retrobike just because I was riding my Orange. I don't have the room for any more collections.

Also for some reason I fancy a retro, top end tennis racket and a Roland Keyboard.

Re:

Ha ha, thanks chaps! Wasn't expecting much in the way of replies, so that's great!

Will get some pics up Chris, but at the mo I am away from home, and the two I decided to keep (a Krooked Zig Zagger, and one that I can't decide what it is) I'm selling the other two cheap at the next car boot I do as they are slightly cracked around where the decks would bolt, probably will be decent wall art, or repairable to someone.

The Santa Cruz is stunning... Is it the same SC that does the bikes, or a completely different company?

Yeah, maybe it is fatal to start getting into something else retro...but at least these are far easier to store, or hang on a wall in the workshop. Does the N+1 thing still apply to smaller items....?? :LOL: :LOL:

Tried it a few times when younger, could never get comfortable on them. I used to ride bmx and one day a friend rode my bike on the halfpipe while i rode his board :shock: we both limped home that day for sure, :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I haven't found a flat and smooth enough surface to build my confidence on yet. I have, however, sort of mastered the 'tip it up on it's back end to make it stop' thing. Sort of.

That post is fascinating, thank you, I am still reading my way through it, and will want to reread it. Never realised that anything other than retro bikes could be so absorbing.

I picked up a couple of complete boards at the car boot at the weekend, they are modern to be fair, I am just taking pics of everything I have found so far, minus the two fairly wrecked (cracked) decks that I flogged on at the weekend (thereby recouping my initial outlay!)

a longboard or cruiser may be easier to get the hang of if you've never skated.

I had my wife rocking the halfpipe at the local skatepark within 6 weeks :)

Back