Replacing Brakes / Giant ATX 860

MoifMurphy

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Hello,

Rather than sell my bike I've decided to keep it and fix it up a bit. I'm seeing my bike in the house and the more I see it, the more I want to ride it.

The only thing stopping me from riding it is the front brake. They're disk brakes and I think they're Formula. The little piston bit kept dropping out of the housing and it's happened so much now that the housing itself has worn away so it's time for a replacement. I'll take some pics when I get home from work and post them up.

I've spoken to my local bike shop and they reckon £130 all in for brakes, discs and labour. Do I need new discs? If I wanted to do this myself, what size of a job am I looking at? I've not touched bike mechanics in well over 10 years but I'm not adverse to learning.

Are there any sites out there that can explain the basics of replacing disc brake levers?

So here's the pics and it really needs a good clean.

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm desperate to get out on it but don't want to get ripped off.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_4410.JPG
    IMG_4410.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,638
  • IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,638
  • IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,638
What are the shop going to do for £130? I guess just fix up the front brake. Bear in mind that the rear is the same age and from the corrosion in the pics is probably not far behind the front in needing attention.

Your best bet is probably to replace the whole disk set (front and rear) with something else for less than that price. You could probably pick up some avid juicys or something on ebay, ready to fit & go for less than that.

It shouldn't be difficult to fit the brakes yourself, disc brakes come as a complete unit, with the caliper attached and usually with a disc. Trickiest bit will probably be getting the handlbar grip off to remove and replace the old lever.

Formula brakes are quite pricey though and both Shimano and Avid offer cheaper alternatives, starting at around £50. I couldn't say how they compare to Formula brakes in terms of performance though.

D_XZ":3d693xzq said:
What are the shop going to do for £130? I guess just fix up the front brake. Bear in mind that the rear is the same age and from the corrosion in the pics is probably not far behind the front in needing attention.

Your best bet is probably to replace the whole disk set (front and rear) with something else for less than that price. You could probably pick up some avid juicys or something on ebay, ready to fit & go for less than that.

Yeah, £130 front and rear + labour. They didn't say what make they'd be though. Formula would be nice obviously but I'm just looking for something that'll get the bike out and about again.

xerxes":2vi843f8 said:
It shouldn't be difficult to fit the brakes yourself, disc brakes come as a complete unit, with the caliper attached and usually with a disc. Trickiest bit will probably be getting the handlbar grip off to remove and replace the old lever.

Formula brakes are quite pricey though and both Shimano and Avid offer cheaper alternatives, starting at around £50. I couldn't say how they compare to Formula brakes in terms of performance though.

Cool, just looking for a decent set now.

Cheers chaps.

Went for these in the end:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... y-ec017012

Absolute piece of wee to setup too :) Just need to pump the tyres up, give it a good clean then I'm off for a burn this evening.

Front brake is next, then perhaps I'll get it in for a service.
slayer.gif

Latest posts

Back