Removing a stuck Mavic 610 unthreaded bottom bracket...any ideas?

The BB is now removed. Once just the shell was left in there, I tried hitting it a few times with a mallet which did move it a little, however it soon started deforming the fairly thin metal so I had to stop that approach before it all folded into itself. I then tried pulling it with some vice grips, but not too surprisingly that did nothing, apart from take a piece out of the shell:

IMG_3755.JPG

I then moved onto sawing through the shell. After sawing one cut, and then trying with the mallet again, nothing was really improving. I thought I'd have to saw another cut to have any chance of it coming out, which was more than I really wanted to do at this point, so the blowtorch option was looking most likely. I had my neighbour primed to use his on it, but then I had one last idea.

I tried a large flathead screwdriver against the lip of the thicker inner part of the shell which the bearings sit up against (as can be seen in the image above), and hit it with a hammer. This actually caused the shell to move a fair bit, and after a decent number of hits it was finally out:

IMG_3880.jpg

I don't know if having made the saw cut made any difference, but just the vibrating movement caused by this might have had an effect, I guess.

The best news is that thanks to @mdvineng I can actually reuse the BB with a replacement shell (or sleeve, or whatever it should be called), which I thought would be an impossibility. Retrobike comes good again...😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back