RED (pink?) inner tubes??!

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
A new one for me - having whipped-off the 'skinny' commuter tyres off the new Merlin I found a pair of red/ pink inner tubes dated 1997 which would fit fatter tyres. They smelt rubbery, seem quite lightweight but I've never come across red inner tubes before!

What are they?! There were a pair of red caps on them, possibly saying Record and patent. One seems alright, one has a snake-bite pair of holes sadly

A new one for me - having whipped-off the 'skinny' commuter tyres off the new Merlin I found a pair of red/ pink inner tubes dated 1997 which would fit fatter tyres. They smelt rubbery, seem quite lightweight but I've never come across red inner tubes before!

What are they?! There were a pair of red caps on them, possibly saying Record and patent. One seems alright, one has a snake-bite pair of holes sadly
Air-B Latex tubes.

If you they are even a teeny tiny bit pinched under the tyre bead they willBIGLOUDBANGWITHLITTLEPUFFOFTALC before you notice. That was an expensive afternoon in the 1990s.

How much weight did these actually save? I remember them being quite expensive BITD and not being brilliant at keeping the air inside them.

Air B were meant to be better than full latex because they had a coating on the inside iirc, making them less prone to splitting and more air tight.

Instead of having to pump your tyres up every day, it was every other day.

Great.

About half the weight of a basic butyl rubber tube, a little harder to puncture, a little harder to repair.

I gave them a go.
I also gave aerothan a go.
Oh and tubeless.
Solid?
Only on Victorian stuff, natch.

Most of my bikes have quality butyl tubes in them.

Hello,

do you mean this tubes ? ...

Record tubes.jpg

Regards, Max

Back