RED (pink?) inner tubes??!

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
A new one for me - having whipped-off the 'skinny' commuter tyres off the new Merlin I found a pair of red/ pink inner tubes dated 1997 which would fit fatter tyres. They smelt rubbery, seem quite lightweight but I've never come across red inner tubes before!

What are they?! There were a pair of red caps on them, possibly saying Record and patent. One seems alright, one has a snake-bite pair of holes sadly

A new one for me - having whipped-off the 'skinny' commuter tyres off the new Merlin I found a pair of red/ pink inner tubes dated 1997 which would fit fatter tyres. They smelt rubbery, seem quite lightweight but I've never come across red inner tubes before!

What are they?! There were a pair of red caps on them, possibly saying Record and patent. One seems alright, one has a snake-bite pair of holes sadly
Air-B Latex tubes.

If you they are even a teeny tiny bit pinched under the tyre bead they willBIGLOUDBANGWITHLITTLEPUFFOFTALC before you notice. That was an expensive afternoon in the 1990s.

How much weight did these actually save? I remember them being quite expensive BITD and not being brilliant at keeping the air inside them.

Back