rBoTM RBotM August 2024 - Theme month - Racers and Race Replicas - Enter now!!!

road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome all to RBotM August 2024 - Racers and Race Replicas theme!!!

This like most months with a theme is covering a broad area, so it's all about the racers, be they a 1898 hobbyhorse racer or a 1978 Raleigh SBDU sprinting for a Tour de France win and everything in between. It doesn't have to be the TDF sprinter itself, it could be the normal person Nottingham shire one your dad put on lay away for that special Christmas. It could be that special Rudge your great grandad won the Pennine reliability trial on, or that TVT you built so you could fly down the road pretending to be Greg Lemond on the Sunday group ride.
Whatever they are, dig them out, get the good stuff off the display wall, get a couple of pictures with a brief description and enter it. Remember to include a link to more information, be it a web page or link to a readers ride thread etc.

Jamie

My old Concorde Squadra PDM to kick it off
DSC_1827 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

1931 Claud Buttler DHS (Dennis Sutton Horn) designed track bike. Dennis was an Olympian and needed to keep his armature status so they used his initials on the decal instead of his name. The bike was original and I disassembled and greased it. The front brake was something I added so I could slow down on hills. I found the date through Buttler on line catalogues. It’s currently disassembled and in boxes so I can paint the frame in the original black and white. So far only the primer is done. IMG_0651.jpeg

1986 Pinarello in Alexi Grewal's 1984 LA Olympic winning themed finish.this is the Catena Luso model with campagnolo Triumph bits.link to before pics & other views.https://www.pinkbike.com/u/larrryc/album/Pinarello/
p5pb26289612.jpg
p5pb26556409.jpg

Last edited:
I found this frame languishing in the classifieds long ago, fitted with some Shimano 300 EX parts from the nineties. It was cheap and I like cromovelato, so I bought it. However, the replacement Tange fork and the lack of pantographing made me think it wasn't legit, and it ended up in the attic.

In 2019 I met Massimo, Faggin's framebuilder, at L'Eroica. I took the opportunity to show him a couple of pics I had on my phone, and after exchanging a few e-mails with him and his wife Cristina they confirmed that it actually was a Faggin frame, from the '82/'83 period.

Now knowing this, I decided to build it up with what I had on hand, so I could ride it at Eroica-type events. Hence the non-aero brake levers.

9c9fd696-7079-48d5-b5d2-3cdd59e5819e.jpg

It rides rather nicely, and it is the only bike for which I have the correct workshop apron. :)

6cd7b119-3e1c-4ab6-ae3c-ded229823eac.jpg

I found this frame languishing in the classifieds long ago, fitted with some Shimano 300 EX parts from the nineties. It was cheap and I like cromovelato, so I bought it. However, the replacement Tange fork and the lack of pantographing made me think it wasn't legit, and it ended up in the attic.

In 2019 I met Massimo, Faggin's framebuilder, at L'Eroica. I took the opportunity to show him a couple of pics I had on my phone, and after exchanging a few e-mails with him and his wife Cristina they confirmed that it actually was a Faggin frame, from the '82/'83 period.

Now knowing this, I decided to build it up with what I had on hand, so I could ride it at Eroica-type events. Hence the non-aero brake levers.

9c9fd696-7079-48d5-b5d2-3cdd59e5819e.jpg

It rides rather nicely, and it is the only bike for which I have the correct workshop apron. :)

6cd7b119-3e1c-4ab6-ae3c-ded229823eac.jpg
Is that a lacquered chrome finish?

I’ll have a punt at this month with this replica & tribute to Welsh TT Legend Derek Rogers
42E9FB81-303A-495A-B334-F39677C19836.jpeg
DC9FC6B5-07A5-40E5-BCB6-150AD1C9A0C7.jpeg
Link here

Here's my Vitus 992, partly rebuilt this summer. This frame was the true beginning of my retro bike obsession and it's been fun to bring it closer to perfection this year. One of the great satisfactions of this hobby is the slow hunt for components and the little tweaks to details to refine a build. Finding parts like the yellow Modolo stem and Vitus pedals to balance and tie in with the yellow logos made me really happy. 😋

'Tout Mavic' apart from the brake levers (yet). I love the industrial design history of the Vitus bonded frames and the 992 is particularly special with it's refinements in lug and tube shaping and the integrated headset.

Vitus992edit1.jpg

IMG_20240619_174309.jpg

2024 additions were the bar and stem, the PMP skewers to match the hubs, Mavic brake calipers, Vitus pedals and some improved tubing decals.

My build diary is here (and I should add some more completed pictures!);

Here's my Vitus 992, partly rebuilt this summer. This frame was the true beginning of my retro bike obsession and it's been fun to bring it closer to perfection this year. One of the great satisfactions of this hobby is the slow hunt for components and the little tweaks to details to refine a build. Finding parts like the yellow Modolo stem and Vitus pedals to balance and tie in with the yellow logos made me really happy. 😋

'Tout Mavic' apart from the brake levers (yet). I love the industrial design history of the Vitus bonded frames and the 992 is particularly special with it's refinements in lug and tube shaping and the integrated headset.

View attachment 880064

View attachment 880062

2024 additions were the bar and stem, the PMP skewers to match the hubs, Mavic brake calipers, Vitus pedals and some improved tubing decals.

My build diary is here (and I should add some more completed pictures!);

Thanks for that. Had I not sold my Gitane, I'd have put the Mavic on one of these 992s, should I have found one. How do they ride? Are they light? Robust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back