Rapid Rise vs. Front Freewheel (or both?)

Moron this.

I used to run the bars much lower than the saddle, and a 48t chain ring. But in urban riding around here keeping an eye on other vehicles takes priority. Also at 70yo the speeds I'm "going" rolling resistance, and low rotating mass for acceleration help as much as aero. For me XC= Extreme Comfort. In urban South Florida riding around staring at the top of your front tire doesn't work very well. If I want to get somewhere in a hurry I take the 1500W Ebike, which is also Front Freewheel, and Rapid Rise. Shifts just like an Alfine 8. Except I can replace most of it cheaply and easily when it wears out. Still sitting upright though. 24Ah battery does the aero for me. Chain and cassette pair are good for about 6 months.
I'll keep an eye out for Vindegaard. In my rear view mirror.....

I went to a more upright riding position on this bike now that it's very comfy with the RH tires. Taking load off the front made the handling have a mind of it's own. I guess the agressive XC geometry relied on your weight pushing forward on the flat bars, and long stem for centering. Taking that away made it floppy off center in turns. I added a Works -1* angleset (slack)in 1 1/8" size and that fixed it. Still quick handling but not wandering away in turns. This shortened the cockpit a little. Slid the seat back 1/2" fixed that. I have an extra one of these in my toolbox. Seems like a good thing to have around when mixing parts or repurposing older bikes. It took a while to get one here in the US. Might be easier to find in the UK.
the same kit provides +1* (steep) also if you need to add a slightly longer fork to keep an older bike in service. Newer bikes with bigger headtubes, but 1 1/8 forks can go +/- 1.5*-2.0*.

Back