Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re:

This is the latest addition to the collection. A 1993 M Trax 300, with MT3 frame and a wonderfully metallic turquoise paint job. Very special to me because my first serious MTB was a 1993 M Trax 400, very similar to this, but which I trashed over a period of 3 years very hard riding on Dartmoor.

Bought recently from another member here (Stevegaunt), the bike has been well looked after, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the bike has almost all original parts, including grips, tires and Diacompe brake pads in good condition. A couple of changes I'll need to make before riding will be fitting SPDs, replacing the Dynatech seat post with a longer one, and maybe retiring the nylon bladed Diacompe brake levers.

And a pic from today's ride on my other Raleigh, in Plymbridge Woods and Cann Woods. Overall, this bike is now the favourite of my collection, due to its wondrous ride qualities. The Ti / cro-mo frame, together with the steel stem and seat post, the Ti bar and the steel ULGI forks, make for a reasonably comfortable ride. I wish I could take it with me back to Portugal next week, but alas, I'll have to make do with my Diamond Back Apex until my next visit to the UK.

Nedmundo":3aynfpnz said:
Both look sweet! I was under the impression that the UGLI forks were also made of Ti?

Thanks :) There are in fact two types of ULGI forks: Those with steel blades like mine (which came on the 1994 Diablo STX), and titanium blades (which came on the higher end Diablos, possibly on the Diablo LX). Apart from the obvious magnet test, you can tell the two types apart by the shape of the brake bosses. Steel bladed UGLIs have cylindrical ones, while the titanium bladed UGLIs have square ones.

Re:

I've got a 'demonstration' pair of U.G.L.I.s. A local bike shop owner (who used to work in a Raleigh 5-Star dealership in the 90s') told me they where for exhibiting in the shops rather than fitting to the actual bikes. Nice to have as a bit of a 'curio' as I haven't seen anything like them anywhere else.

dyna_tech_ti_forks_139.jpg

canti_text_673.jpg

bulge_fork_crown_169.jpg

fork_steerer_dropout_text_112.jpg

Re: Re:

ultrazenith":15wpl2il said:
This is the latest addition to the collection. A 1993 M Trax 300, with MT3 frame and a wonderfully metallic turquoise paint job. Very special to me because my first serious MTB was a 1993 M Trax 400, very similar to this, but which I trashed over a period of 3 years very hard riding on Dartmoor.

Bought recently from another member here (Stevegaunt), the bike has been well looked after, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the bike has almost all original parts, including grips, tires and Diacompe brake pads in good condition. A couple of changes I'll need to make before riding will be fitting SPDs, replacing the Dynatech seat post with a longer one, and maybe retiring the nylon bladed Diacompe brake levers.

And a pic from today's ride on my other Raleigh, in Plymbridge Woods and Cann Woods. Overall, this bike is now the favourite of my collection, due to its wondrous ride qualities. The Ti / cro-mo frame, together with the steel stem and seat post, the Ti bar and the steel ULGI forks, make for a reasonably comfortable ride. I wish I could take it with me back to Portugal next week, but alas, I'll have to make do with my Diamond Back Apex until my next visit to the UK.

very nice!!

IIRC I had the option of an upgrade to ugli forks on my first torus.
Either that or the trimnel forks.
unfortunately, both were so expensive for rigid forks, that it'd have got you 3/4 of the way to some suspension.
So I got the triple butted cromoly, then upgraded later to Judy xc.

During my ride on Dartmoor this morning:

And after. Notice the snapped off steel Tioga seat post :(

Fortunately the failure occurred at relatively low speed and I was able to come to a controlled stop, without injury. And the weather and short (1 hour) walk to get back to town allowed me to return home safely.

A somewhat rare Ti UGLI just got sold on ebay, for 77.99 + 5.99 gbp postage. I expected this one to bid a bit higher, but perhaps the not so great cosmetic condition of that particular fork acted as something of a deterrent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AA:GB:1120

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Does anybody know whether the MT3 frame geometry changed from 93 to 95? I ask because my 94 ULGI from a Diablo STX is 10 mm longer than the single crown cro-mo fork from my 93 M Trax 300 and 400 bikes. It looks like some effort may have been made by Special Products Division to correct for the geometry for supension between 93 and 94.

Back