Raleigh Activator I / II appreciation thread

Retirement plan or not, do not sit on them. Carbon footprint of taking them to scrappy will be higher as well as costs as extra weight needs extra fuel to shift thus cancelling out cash per ton.
my Activator 1 is my retirement plan, one day i may ride it to the scrappy to offset the fuel it would cost to haul it there.

I recently requisitioned an Activator 1, along with a handful of other ancient and dilapidated bicycles, from an assortment of abandoned bicycles awaiting scrap from work.

Asides from some getting new tyres and inner tubes the only thing it needs to get it going again is a new seat and the tube which it attaches to for height adjustment as they are missing. Will any seat and tube fit or do I need one that's specific to the Activator 1?

I recently requisitioned an Activator 1, along with a handful of other ancient and dilapidated bicycles, from an assortment of abandoned bicycles awaiting scrap from work.

Asides from some getting new tyres and inner tubes the only thing it needs to get it going again is a new seat and the tube which it attaches to for height adjustment as they are missing. Will any seat and tube fit or do I need one that's specific to the Activator 1?
Could you use the tyres/tubes/seat off any of the other bikes?

The seat post will be a certain diameter.

Could you use the tyres/tubes/seat off any of the other bikes?

The seat post will be a certain diameter.
I'm planning on doing up the other bikes when I can find out some more about them.

Muddyfox Air
Richmond Freestyle
Douglas model unknown

And a Raleigh ascender that's only some inner tubes, tyres, and figuring out where the bit that splits the cable from the brake handle to the brake blocks has snapped off from on the front.

I'm planning on doing up the other bikes when I can find out some more about them.

Muddyfox Air
Richmond Freestyle
Douglas model unknown

And a Raleigh ascender that's only some inner tubes, tyres, and figuring out where the bit that splits the cable from the brake handle to the brake blocks has snapped off from on the front.
Happy to help you out... put up some pics.

Wicked, only just seen this thread. An old Activator from upstairs was my first "pay cheque" from work experience at McMahon's (Shrewsbury Cycles). I knew it was a steamer, but it had rapidfires and some other bits I wanted so a deal was made. I actually kept the rest of the bike, painted the frame WD-40 esque yellow/blue (Hammerite of course) & made it into a fixie tow-path troll, agree it was a hunk of pig iron better suited to anchoring the boats than riding alongside but I actually believe it made a better cyclist of me, with it's undamped pogo-fork twitchy front end & high weight plus terrible brakes (steel rims, yummy). I even rode it clipped in & one-legged one time after the NDS crank inevitably worked loose, got some looks!

I must have always been a little perverse, because I actually enjoyed riding the thing & I'd own another one for nostalgia sakes too (still wouldn't hand over cash money for one though!)

Latest posts

Back