Pump Track Build - 2003 Saracen XESS XTREME

I did wonder about that - do you reckon it's harder wearing than car touch up paint? Do you have to get posh stuff or will cheap and cheerful do?

Made a bit more progress this week in dribs and drabs!

Since I decided to go with the red Tioga stem, I thought I'd pop a few more red accents on - starting with the saddle:

1724441535455.png

A step too far? Maybe... Can always replace with some boring black ones down the line if I decide I don't like them.

1724441710825.png

So, next jobs...

Front QR skewer needs replacing with a proper closed cam one.

Cable outers are pretty much sorted, but cable inners need adding, and brakes/gears setting up after that.

Headset needs adjusting and general once over / bolt check across the whole bike.

And it should be ready to go! Sadly at the current rate, this will still take me a little while...

Future jobs that look like they need doing:

If it's going to be a keeper, I'll pop some different tyres on.

The fork makes a "click" noise when compressed quickly. I'm reasonably certain this is the sound of the SSV valve in the damper opening (it's independent of position in the travel & also happens with the springs removed), in which case it's not an issue as such, more of a "feature" of these Marzocchi forks.

It is kind of annoying though, so again if it's going to be a keeper I might have to see if I can get a thin rubber washer or something in there to quieten it down.

I'm intending to use this one over the winter on the local pump tracks, when the local trails are unappealing to ride, so still got a bit of time to get everything sorted.

Latest posts

Back