Pump Track Build - 2003 Saracen XESS XTREME

From here I went to my local pump track. This is probably where I'll be using the bike most - it's a really nice track with lots of options for creative lines.

It felt pretty good here, but definitely a bit different / alien than what I've been used to on my 26" BMX. The rebound on the fork is quite fast, so it pops out of berms and rollers a little quicker than I'm used to. The bars are also a fair bit higher than I'm used to - this feels super comfy (no more achy back - result!!!), but it changes the feel of pumping around the track a bit. With a lower torso, it's easier to use your arms to generate a bit of useful pump, whereas with the higher bars it all has to come from the legs... this is probably what I should be doing anyway, and I'm sure I'll get used to it after spending a bit of time on the bike.

1726238361626.png

Up until this point I was thinking to myself "hmm, maybe I should go single speed on this build", as the 38 / 18 gear ratio was all I really needed.

However, riding to the next spot involves a few hills, and it was really, really nice to be able to click down a few gears and tootle up them at my own pace. If I was as fit as I'd like to be, single speed would be better - the chain devices inevitably add a little bit of noise.

The reality is that I think a single speed set up would actively put me off riding the bike as much... you know those days where you're not really feeling it, and whether you go out or stay in is kind of in the balance... sounds silly, but I reckon having gears is more likely to get me out in the winter months when motivation is low.

The seat height is still on the rather low side with the seat post at max extension. This is fine by me, as it's at a height where hops / manuals / drops are still really comfortable to do, and with the option of low gears it's not too bad dealing with poor leg extension on the pedal strokes. More importantly, the seat height when the saddle is slammed is perfect - I've ridden 15" and 16" frames before where I've been constantly irritated by the saddle tapping me on the under carriage, but this is spot on.

Despite a bit of noise from the chain in the lower pulley, I didn't drop a chain once in a 90 minute session, despite not taking it easy. My inner tube / tyre chain slap protection might not be the prettiest, but it seems to work well and quietens things down nicely.

1726238771206.png

While riding around the first pump track, I noticed that if I wasn't careful where I put my feet on the pedals I was getting the occasional bit of toe overlap - not a nice feeling at pace! Serves me right for riding in size 11 work boots and having the pedal axle way too far back on my foot I suppose - wasn't an issue once I remembered to pay attention to it, and would be a non issue if I wasn't wearing big boots I suspect.

1726239117422.png

It does suggest that one reason the bike manuals / wheelies so nicely is the front centre is rather short. My impression when riding the bike on the pump tracks was of my weight feeling a bit more centred rather than being over the back wheel - not necessarily a bad thing, but will take a little adjusting to.

I don't know if I was just having an off day, but I didn't feel very comfortable or confident jumping the bike. I'm never going to be good at that sort of thing, but I'd sort of got the knack of it on my old 26" BMX, guess I'm going to have to re-learn things a little on this bike.

I then went onto my other local track, which has slightly bigger features and a little jump line. I don't tend to ride this one as much due to the hills you have to climb to get there (which aren't really that bad, they just SUCK on that 26" BMX), but it's another very good track. Not quite so many options for creative lines, but the main line is faster, and you can get some good height on the berms.

1726239419733.png

I might have been getting used to the bike a little by this point, as pumping around the track felt great, it was only attempting fly-outs that it felt a bit off.

I did have a few runs down the jump line too. With the slightly unfamiliar feel to the bike I squashed the heck out of every single one, but it's still a fun track to mess around on :)

1726243381707.png

Looking forward to putting in a bit more time on this bike to see if I get used to it and it "clicks".

I'm already happy enough with it that I'm going to swap over my nice pump track tyres (Halo twin rail) from my 26" BMX onto the Saracen.

If the fork had external rebound adjustment I think I'd quite like it a click or two slower, but I'm pretty sure the only way to adjust this on these old Marzocchi Dirt Jumper forks is by changing the oil weight, which is a bit of a faff, so I'll see if I can learn to love it - I can sort of see that it could give a nice bit of pop under a decent rider, hopefully it won't bite me in the arse while I'm finding my feet!

I wouldn't want the bars any higher, and I guess could consider lowering them a tad down the line - but again I'm hoping this is just a case of getting used to an at-the-moment-unfamiliar set up.

The only other gripe I have looking at the photos is that the saddle would look much better with a bit more downwards angle on it when the seat post is slammed - but this would make it rubbish for seated pedalling, which was one of the whole points of this bike. Ah, first world problems eh?

The bike definitely deserves a better rider than me, but it'll have to get used to low-altitude belly flops now! It's very forgiving on terrible landings and feels reassuringly solid. Didn't have to tweak a single bolt on the ride either.

Reckon it's going to be a fun little bike :D

1726243793165.png

Made my first ever edit from today's ride too... Terrible riding but I've overcompensated with rock music over the top so it's all good :D

Back