Puerto Pollensa Holiday

Id recommend alcudia. Been there on holiday with the missus and some friends. I'm itching to go back, this ttime with the missus and my bike.

Pollensa is nice though. Chap at work stayed there when he went on a cycling holiday and said it were great.

Would love to have a crack at the cap de formenta!!!

Try the ride up to lluc, them through to the orange seller.
You can then either drop down sa calobra and back up. Or just enjoy the view and head home, either the same way you came out, or follow the road down past the repsol garage and down the selva descent. And then back home via the back roads/marshes. It's a nice ride.

We ditched the cap formentor ride when we got to the hotel, the road is terrible.

i have checked out some of the bike hire places in pollensa and the limited stock that they have left for our dates in march/ april cost an absolute fortune (748 euros for the 10 days!)

it looks like we're going to have to go with plan B which is take our own bikes (hooray! retro!!) - does anyone know of a company here that hires bike boxes and would post them up to us?

mattr":1aoch27y said:
Try the ride up to lluc, them through to the orange seller..
I wonder how many cyclists lives that orange shack has saved. It was there on my first Colobra venture in 88 and he's still there

my cycling buddy is getting her knickers in a twist about taking the bikes on the flight. she says that the easyjet site states that bikes must be packaged in a box or a bike bag. my proposal was to get two HD cardboards bike boxes (ie from brand new bikes) and pack them up for the journey like that, thus saving a fortune on hiring or buying said boxes/ bags.

does anyone know if easyjet would have a problem with that?

ps was talking to my bike mechanic pal on the phone and he said that he was building a bike worth TEN GRAND and the dura ace rear mech alone costs £450!! i stripped my 1987 eddy merckx the other day, pulled apart the dura ace 8 speed rear mech that cost me £30 from a fellow retrobiker - it's in beautiful condition and works perfectly.

is it just me?!!

:roll:

rusty bodie":31zdqwsh said:
does anyone know if easyjet would have a problem with that?
Shouldn't do. As long as its properly packaged and easy to handle (i.e. it has handles of some description) they have no grounds to complain. Might be worth sending customer services an email to check, but i really can't see how they could complain.

Only issue is if it rains, you'll have a soggy box.

rusty bodie":31zdqwsh said:
ps was talking to my bike mechanic pal on the phone and he said that he was building a bike worth TEN GRAND and the dura ace rear mech alone costs £450!!
Someones getting gouged somewhere! Di2 rear mechs are selling most places for £400 now. (RRP is £450 though)

yup, his shop always has been the full belt when it comes to prices!!

thanks for the advice - i'll email them and see what they say. i just hope i don't
get some thick jobsworth on the other end!

:roll:

I'm going to Pollensa just after you but haven't yet decided whether to take a bike. Was in Alcudia a couple of years ago and couldnt move for northern European cyclists of a Saga+ age group drifting around ponderously in immaculate his and hers team kit. So retro could be good.
Easyjet website has lots of into about carrying bikes - seems they count as ''large" sports equipment along with canoes and hang gliders by contrast to "small" which includes surf boards and pole vault poles! Either way it appears to be silent about boxes or cases though I would want to use one. Http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage
I've been waiting for an excuse to buy a bike case like e Bay # 360863107035 or 221292428296. And while neither is cheap you will either use it again or can sell it on after your holiday.

Back