Public sector strikes on Wednesday

brocklanders023":efv6pc3c said:
It's because the ConDems are trying to steal our pensions. Luckily for me my Union is still in talks so we won't be out on the 30th but I fully support every person that walks.

They picked the wrong fight here. :evil:

Hey am totally behind the fact that the current leaders (??) are not different to the last... to be honest its one of the reason i got out
Its time for the people to take control again... the last five year plus have been a joke for us who work for a living and pay taxes...

Power to the people !!

I wonder if anyone will even notice , this time, that there's a "Strike" on?
The last one had such emphasis on striking teachers that it was just like any other random inset day... :roll:

brocklanders023":2bfrox1r said:
It's because the ConDems are trying to steal our pensions. Luckily for me my Union is still in talks so we won't be out on the 30th but I fully support every person that walks.

If you don't like it you could always get another job that will pay you the pension you deserve? Or if there isn't one out there perhaps your expectations are somewhat above your market value? The world has changed and the inefficient, bloated, corrupt (edinburgh city council and your billion pound part tram line, i'm looking at you) needs to change with it. Remember, you're only worth what someone will do your job for, and the vast majority of the public sector ain't exactly irreplaceable as individuals. *

In a previous role I had access to a range of public sector salaries and benefits information - 18% non-contributory pension anyone? Or how about the obscure government body consisting of 3 senior contrators, each taking home £800-1000 a day and who by their own admission don't know what their remit is or who they're accountable to? Not to mention the pervasive culture of spending to prove your own worth. Public sector pay and conditions? My heart bleeds!

*not a personal attack, I don't know what you do and i'm sure many in the public sector do a good job. I'd just rather be able to at least afford to pay into my own pension before my taxes stock everyone elses.

im part time so i dont have any lessons that day to teach.a lot of the schools i deal with are going out so im putting me feet up for the day....

Rumble":xj38egj1 said:
brocklanders023":xj38egj1 said:

If you don't like it you could always get another job that will pay you the pension you deserve? Or if there isn't one out there perhaps your expectations are somewhat above your market value?

Jeez...how I cringe when I hear people spouting right-wing crap like this. Do you really f*cking believe that a market economy should control our social services, our education system etc. Unbelievable!

I'm a university lecturer. So, sort-of in the public sector despite the government's attempts to privatise higher education (a move that will cost the taxpayer more, not less than the old funding regime, by the way). Teachers (including lecturer's) pensions are contributory and, according to the actuaries, fully funded. Yet, the government want to cut the pension benefits we signed up for in exchange for lower salaries than we could (probably) make in the private sector.

Don't believe the Daily Wail hype about unfunded, non-contributory, taxpayer paid pensions.

The reason the teacher's pension scheme is fully funded is that , unlike in the private sector, my forebears refused to allow the pension schemes to take a contributions holiday in the 90's. Companies did this to boost short-term profits when the actuarial "profession" made a series of bad assumptions and related calculations about life expectancy and pension costs. The result? The underfunded schemes that have caused many of these companies to close their final salary schemes to new (and in many cases) existing members.

I won't be on strike 'cos I'm not a union member, so I have no legal right or mandate to do so, but I understand why some of my colleagues won't be at work next Wednesdday.

My first 12 years of work was retail, eventually becoming a manager. I am now work in a quango, although one of the good ones.

I know I've now got a good deal with my pension, and I think it's wrong to strike about it. Someone who has been at my office a lot longer than me (but is same age as me) said when the last strike happened it was pretty much split - older half went on strike, younger came into work.

Seems like the older people think they are entitled to everything under the sun and can't seem to face the fact that things must change. The younger generation realise they have got a reasonable deal and don't moan about it.

I signed a contract to work and I'm not backing out of it. I will gladly come to work on the 30th.

The unions just seem to make things worse nowadays, demanding unreasonable terms (asking for a 4% pay rise IIRC when I joined just as the economic meltdown occurred :roll: ). They seem outdated, overly militant and never seem to be happy with anything. They are just irrelevant to me nowadays and I find them embarrassing.

Rumble":2857u3vw said:
brocklanders023":2857u3vw said:

If you don't like it you could always get another job that will pay you the pension you deserve? Or if there isn't one out there perhaps your expectations are somewhat above your market value? The world has changed and the inefficient, bloated, corrupt (edinburgh city council and your billion pound part tram line, i'm looking at you) needs to change with it. Remember, you're only worth what someone will do your job for, and the vast majority of the public sector ain't exactly irreplaceable as individuals. *

In a previous role I had access to a range of public sector salaries and benefits information - 18% non-contributory pension anyone? Or how about the obscure government body consisting of 3 senior contrators, each taking home £800-1000 a day and who by their own admission don't know what their remit is or who they're accountable to? Not to mention the pervasive culture of spending to prove your own worth. Public sector pay and conditions? My heart bleeds!

*not a personal attack, I don't know what you do and i'm sure many in the public sector do a good job. I'd just rather be able to at least afford to pay into my own pension before my taxes stock everyone elses.

When I started my job I was told that if I paid 11% of my wage in to the pension I would receive X at the end of my service. They did not tell me that this might change if a bunch of very powerful spivs f**ked everything up whilst trying to stuff even more cash in to their already overflowing pockets. What I want is what I was promised. I am not a wealthy person and these changes if forced through will have a very serious impact on my standard of living in later life. Why are you suprised that I feel a little bitter about this and am prepared to lose money now to protect my future?

While we're at it, are you aware that the proposed 3.2% contribution increase between now and 2015 has nothing to do with our pension. The money stolen from us will be put straight in to the ConDems coffers and will in no way contribute to paying for our 'gold plated' pension. So basically I'm getting a 3.2% pay cut whilst we also have a pay freeze and the cost of living is going through the roof. Would you be happy to just bend over and take a pay cut?

By saying 'If you don't like it you could always get another job' you are suggesting that employers should have the right to treat employees exactly how they want? Do you really believe this?

Back