Project?

ljamesb":1qew96f6 said:
Haven't got round to taking any photos since finishing the bike, but this is a photo from part way.

Now has some brakes :), different pedals, stem, handlebars, bar ends, saddle and seatpost.

You should be able to get the frame and forks powder coated for £40-60 if you choose to go that way, or you could keep it original if it has nice paint already ;). Don't know if you need any bike tools, like to remove the cranks+bottom bracket prior to painting. Probably be a good idea to factor that in too. I got a lot of the parts I used from planetx (like new brake+gear cables, handlebar, pedals, grips etc). I also got some stuff in halfords (new tubes) as they will price match competitors with cheaper prices. Also found ebay is a really good source for parts. There seem to be a whole bunch of really good quality NOS components on ebay.

I'd say it's best to get a bike with good drivetrain, brake components and wheels (i.e good hubs and non worn rims) already on it, as this will work out way cheaper than buying a bike and then upgrading/replacing these. Also I'd go for something lightweight, like a specialized rockhopper, stumpjumper or Marin something. Lightweight usually means that it has good choice of components on it and a nice frame tubing material which is butted for lightness.

Maybe you could keep an eye on this Marin Bear Valley SE. Super light steel frame, deore lx all over. Just had new tyres and rims. Looks like it's in really good condition. Or this Pine Mountain which has deore xt all over.

Or this Trek 830 and you could spend the extra cash customising it. One recommendation I have is to keep an eye out for a trek 950, 970 or 990 on ebay. They seem to go for really stupidly low amounts of money for what they are. often like £50.

Specialized rockhopper, another rockhopper, yet another rockhopper.

Couple of nice bikes linked there fella. Will delve deeper. Thanks for posting.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back