Project Team Marin

gixxer66

Dirt Disciple
This won't be one for the purists. So turn away now if you are adverse to a mix'n'match approach to bike builds.

My finances mean that NoS and rare parts will be out of the question. As with all my bikes I'd rather be riding them than building so getting the bike on 2 wheels is first, then a gradual upgrade / improvement process over a period of time

I'll no doubt be asking lots of seemly stupid questions along the journey so bare with.

This is my starting point:
1992 Team Marin Frame ( purchased from @Tootyred )
Sachs Forks ( that came with the frame )
Pair of Giant wheels from about 2000 - that have been recently trued.
Set of Trans X QR Axles / QR seat bolt - arriving via Ebay
Period seat post from my now dead Claude Butler ( not 100% confirmed size )
Marin Lite Stem ( in Blue came with the frame )
Marin Lite ( came with the frame )or period Trans X bars.
Set of Shimano Cantis - Unsure of exact model ( do have some On One Canti's I may use )
SRAM 8 speed cassette
Dia Comp levers
Shimano LX ( i think pedals )
STX 8 speed Rear DR - arriving via Ebay
Alivio 8 speed shifters
Bottom Bracket ( have plenty of serviceable units )
WTB Seat

Main things I need to source:
Suitable Crank Set - have a horrid early 2K 8 speed Alivio one - that will be an absolute last resort
Front Derailleur - STX preferably
Pair of tyres
Suitable headset.
Grips

Not included consumables ( cables / chain ) as who does nt have those. Time permitting I'll lay it all out and get some piccies sorted.

Forks might change yet - have tabs on a couple of different period (ish) options. Wheels may also change, have a Hope rear, but no matching front, but I may be tempted to sell it to fund ( or partially fund ) some more suitable wheels.

A rather rambling first post, so thanks if you stuck with it :)

What size clamp and pull type do you need for the front mech?

headset will depend on which forks you go for...ahead as they are or threaded if you find some rockstars....

Sound like a great project...keep us informed!

28.6mm bottom pull I believe ( had to Google it lol )

If you check out my for sale threads I have an STX front mech in one (the £10 posted or less thread) and some grips in another (the karma thread). Can post the links later but just heading out now

Yep. 28.6 bottom is indeed correct....just don't over tighten the clamp...those prestige tubes are thin! 0.7mm / 0.4mm i think on those!

If you check out my for sale threads I have an STX front mech in one (the £10 posted or less thread) and some grips in another (the karma thread). Can post the links later but just heading out now
this one:
2. NOS STX M734 front mech. Bottom pull top swing I think they call this. 28.6mm clamp for 66-69 degree chainstay angle. Might have the odd storage mark £10
@Tootyred is that suitable for the frame?

Sure it should work. I use more modern mechs with lower angles on older marin frames. Sometimes you just have to get the spacing between the cage and outer ring adjusted really well......but you should be fine.

Also, im not sure what the swing is like on these? @raidan73 so it might influence your crank choice....but again unlikely unless you choose something really oddball!

Still collecting parts at the moment, actually going backwards rather than getting closer to having everything I need.

The seat post from the Claud Butler is too small - so I need to find one, 27.2mm ? Anyone know.
The 8 Speed rear cassette I thought was OK isn't lol.

Have been over the frame today with Kurust, removed the remains of the chain stay protector and a couple of completely faded non-standard stickers from the top tube. If I could use a spray can to good affect I'd re-spray the green parts, but I cant so it's staying as is, except for ( unless I change my mind ) some clear lacquer over the rusted ( now Kurusted areas) by the BB.

The STX rear derailleur arrived today - well happy with it. Richie headset coming next week.
Bought a period front wheel, now need something for the back to go with it. Latest pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPEG
    IMG_0232.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0233.JPEG
    IMG_0233.JPEG
    797.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0234.JPEG
    IMG_0234.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0235.JPEG
    IMG_0235.JPEG