Problem with C-Record levers

Marcelovich

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I'm in the middle of building my TT bike up with a set of C-record levers but I can't seem to tighten the levers on the 3ttt moscow handlebar. The lever will not open enough for me to get my 8mm bit inside to tighten it?!

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers

Will it not open enough because the lever hits the bars? In that case I don't think there's a lot you can do. A pic or two might be helpful!

Yes, exactly the lever is hitting the handlebar. Silly design! I've seen pictures with c record on tt bars before so I guess it must be possible. I will add pics later.

Cheers
M

Brake levers

You should be able to strip the brakes down, then fit the body to the bars and then the levers back to the body ..

Re: Brake levers

orbeas":bk0oxkm1 said:
You should be able to strip the brakes down, then fit the body to the bars and then the levers back to the body ..

Oh damn it, after that operation the nos levers for sure will not be nos anymore. If it aint broke, break it...

Any tips on how to dismantle the lever from the body without damaging the lovely white hoods.

Marcelovich":2uqa0wbf said:
orbeas":2uqa0wbf said:
Oh damn it, after that operation the nos levers for sure will not be nos anymore. If it aint broke, break it...

Well if you're going to use them, they won't be nos anymore anyway!

If you can't bear to do it, I'll have no problems doing it for you!

foz":3hf0y8qv said:
Marcelovich":3hf0y8qv said:
orbeas":3hf0y8qv said:

Well if you're going to use them, they won't be nos anymore anyway!

If you can't bear to do it, I'll have no problems doing it for you!

I have no problem in using them only in breaking them trying to fit them. This seems to be a recurring problem I have with things :)

hamster":2wjblutk said:
Have you tried a ball-ended bit?

Problem is that it's not an allen key fitting but a nut on bolt and I can't get the bit to fit unless the lever is opened sufficiently.

At the moment I'm not sure how to undo the lever from the rest of the brake.

Marcel, "Did you get this sorted without wrecking the brakes - doing something daft ?" Are these Delta type C-Record ( with a small slot & adjuster screw) OR Chorus (small round hole in the lever blade) ?

"Leave the hoods alone" No reason to attack the hood area to get the brakes on.

"Take the brakes back off the bike completely. Take the bolts out of the clamp completely. Gently clamp the bolt in a vice / other clamp. Hacksaw a slot in the top of the bolt head. Use a screwdriver to fix back to handlebars when ready".

OR

"To Remove the brake lever from the housing. Underneath the brake lever there is a grubscrew. This keeps a small barrel in place that keeps the lever center (do you get me ? The circle on the side is that barrel). Remove the grub screw and the barrel will then pop out, letting the lever free. Affix brake bracket in place etc. Replace lever blade in reverse order to taking it out"

If you're still stuck, I'll check back :) Later buddy, yours Laz.

PS: certain Campagnolo brake levers already have the slot aswell as the hexhead nut. It's a combo type bolt. Check to see what type yours is.

PPS: "Just exchange the bolts with allen key fittings before trying to fit them" Bog standard 6mm/8mm thread will do (got spare stuff here if you're stuck)

Back