Presta Valve Pump

Porter

Retro Newbie
Can anyone recomend a decent full-size presta pump to put on my carlton super course please?

I had one of those little emergency things, but it takes for ever to pump up

thanks

Topeak stuff is pretty good and is repairable. I’ve got a workshop pump and several of their mini pumps. Even the compact road pump was able to get me to 120psi at the side of the road. It’s rated to 160psi which I haven’t tested and don’t need!

Compact type
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/216-Mini-Pumps/246-ROAD-MORPH-G

Full size frame type
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/216-Mini-Pumps/235-ROAD-MASTERBLASTER

Prices vary but you can search around for the best deal.

Like mini-pumps, CO2 canisters aren't great when you're facing a multi-mile pump and sprint to get home. I've got a Zefal Reversible on one bike because the frame is a compact and my excellent (and now discontinued) SKS Vector is too big for it. With a frame-fitter on each bike I know I won't find I've left a pump at home if (when) I puncture.

Zéfal HP pumps get good reviews. Silca Impero's look great on a vintage bike.

That said, I have used frame pumps for many years, but succumbed to mini pumps a couple of years ago. I've found that they may take a little more time, but are nicer to work with, fit in my pocket and actually enable me to get more PSI's into my tyre.

My current favourite is the Lezyne Pocket Drive. Pretty cheap, too:

LPD.JPG

Currently have a topeak pocket rocket on my summer road bike.
The "gravel" is equipped with a tiny £4 noname Chinese jobbie that's about 7cm long and 2cm wide. Works up to about 2bar, but Got me home 4 times already.
The lezyne one looks like a better alternative though.

If you did want to have one last go with something small then I'd recommend the Specialized Airtool MTB, my go to pump for 10 years with 32/28mm tyres normally at 80psi. Though designed for lower pressures I've found it works very well with road tyres and is by far the best small pump I've come across/tested. The pump will do 60psi easy, more if you can be bothered.

I've got a very nice polished alloy Raleigh pump from the 1980s that I need to test but I have a solid white coloured AFA on my Carlton that I know works very well though I haven't used it in quite a while.
luck hunting

Thanks lads. All good recommendations. I’ve had a look at all of them online.
Just looked at the price of a Silca Impero too Midlife - wow

I think I will go with the ROAD MASTERBLASTER (thanks Gtpulse).

I will come back to this thread and put a review of the pump when I get it and use it to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input guys

Classic period correct pumps can quite often be found at cycle jumbles. I've got several in slightly different sizes to fit my frames - all of which are nominally the same size but the pumps disagree!

Back