Powder coating with bearings in place

haydnw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I posted recently about getting bearings out of an LTS DH frame:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#514697

Turns out 'more force' didn't work, and someone with more knowledge than me reckons they may well be a press fit. On that basis, I think the chances of me getting them out of the frame without damaging them, and then back in again in the same state, are minimal.

Now, the whole thing needs to be power coated. The main frame isn't a problem, nor is the main rear section (the bit with the seat stays / dropouts). This leaves me with two parts containing the press-fit bearings (chain stay section and shock link). I've phoned two powder coaters who've said they can't be coated with the bearings in place, and another specifically states this on their website. Anyone got any ideas? Might someone be able to do it, or is it absolutely 100% impossible? Any alternatives?

At the moment I'm considering getting the two main bits powder coated and painting the other bits myself. That thought fills me with dread, if I'm honest. My dad reckons someone he uses for paiting car parts may be able to 2-pack most of each part and just leave the last couple of inches or so with the bearings untouched, but I think without blending the new finish into the old it will look pretty rough. The old bit would also still need touching up too.

Any advice greatly appreciated, as this is pretty much the only thing stopping me riding this now, and I'm desperate to get out on it!

haydnw":2dv6clsy said:
I've phoned two powder coaters who've said they can't be coated with the bearings in place, and another specifically states this on their website. Anyone got any ideas? Might someone be able to do it, or is it absolutely 100% impossible? Any alternatives?
I'm open to correction, but I think it's impossible. Powder coating involves a "bake" stage to melt the powder. That would destroy the seals in your bearings, and any grease present would certainly cause adhesion problems for the powder coat.

I think you need to get the bearings out, and commit to replacing them if they can't be removed without damage.

if you get the bearings out and can't find any to replace them then try these guys... www.simplybearings.co.uk . you'll have to measure your old ones and type the size in to find a match or phone them with your sizes and they'll make the correct size up for you (they won't charge the earth for doing this)

these guys are like gods....... they take paypal and deliver as fast as they can...... :D

big thumbs up from me........

For what its worth I bought a suspension frame 2nd hand that had been powdercoated and when I pulled it apart to have a good luck at it I discovered that the bearings had also been treated to a new blue paint job :shock: the seals were still intact and the bearings still smooth...needless to say they were replaced pretty quickly though!

Thanks everyone - seems powder coating is a no-no. Is anyone aware of any kinds of painting that can be done with bearings in place and masked off? Removing them is really the last option due to my tendency to bugger things up, but I'll check out availability of replacements just in case.

midlandbearings have been good as well.

if your lbs can't remove them with something like the specialized bearing removal kit then i guess it's either a spraycan job or just strip the paint and polish up the frame.

There is a number on the bearings, but it's too small to read. I'll have to find a magnifying glass from somewhere. Good idea about the LBS getting them out, but I think my major concern is getting the new ones in, in the right place and aligned nice and straight. My dad runs a car workshop so has a 15 tonne press that he's offered to use with gusto, but I'm worried that's a bit like overkill. :LOL:

At the moment I reckon I'll be ringing a few people like Argos to see if they have any suggestions, followed by a spraycan job on the problematic bits if not. The two main bits can still be powder coated.

Back