Possible to have new steerer fitted to forks?

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
I see Mercian appear to be able to do it for £95. What's the general consensus on fork construction? All the undersides of forks I can remember seeing look a bit knobbly as if the steerer is TIG'd in, rather than smooth as if they are brazed in and are then un-brazeable and the steerer can be replaced. I know not how steerers are fitted, obviously!

I've been looking for 1" forks for a 90-91 Merlin - I could nab some probably slightly earlier Project 2s from my brother but they're in all honesty maybe a bit spindly as the Merlin's a bit oversize. I may be wrong and I should bite his arm off and nab them?

There are some Orange F7s from one of my old broken Oranges in the shed which are very seksy, I don't mind they're British on an American bike, but the steerer's too short. Do I spend my ££ getting them chopped-about and is it even possible do you think? Anyone had it done? Anywhere that'll do it cheaper?!

steerer extensions are generally done by chopping the existing steerer above the butt in the tube and then joining a new steerer length to that with some sort of press fit sleeve inside to help bolster the joint - then it all gets welded and sanded - theres a great video on Paul Brodie's youtube channel that goes through the whole process

most MTB forks are unicrown or tig welded so no chance of somehow 'unbrazing' - from what I have learned online, most builders think that unbrazing a brazed in steerer on a more 'traditional' road bike style fork isn't a good idea anyway as the heat might screw up the whole joint assembly into the legs as well

I doubt any competent job is going to be cost effective vs just finding and buying some forks TBH
nice ones do pop up fairly regularly on ebay and here - you just have to be patient and wait for the right ones (steerer lengths are often the issue in my experience - was in the same boat recently)

I'd get the Project2 forks, always been a fan of them. There's a YouTube video of Paul Brodie extending a steerer tube worth checking out. What headset are you planning to use? If you go for something with a low stack height it means you can get away with a shorter steerer. What's the actual measurement of your headtube?

Thanks both for the above. It looks like whipping-out the steerer and boshing in another on MTB forks is not such an easy option. F7s are sweeeeeet-as though.

They won't look too bad I suppose - the bro knows their worth - time to barter!

Screenshot 2024-10-12 112246.png

Back