Please show us your powder coated bikes

I still haven't managed to capture the finish on my Karakoram Elite well in a photo yet, I should try with my new camera, but these are probably the best two pictures so far:

Karakoram+rolling+chassis.JPG

Karakoram+new+paint.JPG

The colour sort of shifts a bit, looking drtaker towards the edges if that makes sense.

I had it done at Triple S, which wasn't cheap but I'm really happy with the finish.

sylus":1b6j6ldf said:
Powder coating has come a long way since the old days of about 5 colours.

Most decent coaters can do sparkly, metallic look and neons and judging by the some of the bikes

They can indeed, Sparkly & Chrome all in one go: :cool:

5969993353_f13a64cc6e_b.jpg

5969981413_6d60e399b6_b.jpg

5969986401_7c8b135bd2_b.jpg

5969983785_24cfa57fa1_b.jpg

Racin'snake":2od4grok said:
Here is my 97/8 Klein Pulse Comp.....just got the frame(and Cannondale fork) back from John Whiteman Engineering in Long Eaton, Notts. The pics REALLY don't do it justice. In the flesh its a lovely pearl grey with metallic flecks that looks stunning in the sun! I had a top coat of lacquer added which only cost another tenner and really makes a difference. Im chuffed with it at least :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77252760@N08/

I love that! Looks sort of agricultural, in a good way!

How do you protect your decals? Helicopter tape? I have my Fisher powder coated but some of the decals are looking worn after only 12 months or so of use.

I have just has my Orange Clockwork powder coated (in orange obviously).I was harking back to when I had a new Clockwork and Prestige,so I had the stem and bars powder coated white just as my originals.

What has struck me as I built the bike up is just how thick powder coat is by comparison with wet paint.I had to get a longer screw for the front mech as initially I could not get the threads to grip or the band to close.The stem was an ali stalk which was sized for anodising and would not go down the headset until I marked the level where I wanted it to sit and sanded off the paint below.Ditto the brake and gear levers which had to be opened up to slide over the bars.

Nothing which can't be overcome,but something to note.

I powder coated because locally shot blast and powder came out at £50,rather than the £250 I was quoted for a wet job.

Powder coat can vary enormously with regards thickness depending on the type of product, method off application and even the guy doing it !

In general, yes, it is thicker than paint but just like paint, it can be applied thinly and thickly :D

WD :D

Does anyone know of anywhere near Sheffield? My GT Tequesta needs some attention, it's been getting pretty rusty in patches over the winter. I'd be in to getting it stripped rather than doing it myself. I could get stuck deciding on a colour, but rather like the original yellow so might stick with that for an easy life.

Here's my C16-R I've just got back from OIF just outside Oxford.

The finish is not wonderful (as you can see) and they're not quick - but they are cheap!

Actually, I think they're not keen on taking bake frames anyway. Too many gripes, perhaps...

Attachments

• c16-r0004.JPG
    c16-r0004.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 340
  • c16-r0002.JPG
    c16-r0002.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 340
  • c16-r0003.JPG
    c16-r0003.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 340
Back