Please can one of you mechanical Minded Guy's Help !!

Eastway 90's racing

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,
for months now I have noticing a really irritating noise coming from real of my Cannondale.Pictures previously posted.I have pretty much now narrowed it down to the rear wheel (hub / skewer area)
Basically when riding the noise from time to time makes a scraping type of creaking / cracking type noise.It also makes a type of clunking. It is not bottom bracket , also frame is all good , and brake blocks not rubbing on rear wheel. I only notice the noise when riding the bike - (read on)WD40 added around the drop out but no real advantage.Also I have tried to recreate the horrid noise by lift rear of bikes rear wheel and spinning pedals at speed,by doing this I cannot get the noise to happen , I have however noticed when doing this (lifting rear wheel and spinning pedals) rear wheel spins as if needs balancing (yoyo) type feeling but rear wheel pretty true , and centralized in frame all quite well , no scraping frame when spinning , Please could someone give feedback ?? Driving me MAD ...

I had a similar thing once....turned out it was a bent QR skewer!! Check that...mine only happened when I pedalled hard and I couldn't replicate it in the bike stand. Thought it was the hub, the cassette, the freehub, the chain. Only when I changed the skewer the creaking cracking went. I then looked at the old skewer and it was bent....I can only put it down to that!

Might be worth a look...

Doug

Cheers Doug , will add to list hopefully more feedback to enable a picture to be built up , but this will be checked out , maybe even fully removed and fully greased ??

sounds like the freehub body on the rear hub to me. what hub is it? if it's a cannondale hub i have seen issues with them. also regarding the yoyo feeling, sounds stupid but has the wheel got a reflector on it?

The "yoyo-ing" wheel may be out of vertical true, ie egg shaped rather than round, maybe a flat spot.

annoyingly some noises don't occur when testing the bike on a work stand etc, they wait until you are riding :LOL:
Scraping/clunking could be the freehub on the rear wheel, see if you can remove and inspect it.
Also check spoke tightness in the rear wheel, a loose spoke can make some weird noises.

What rims,hubs,... Are they and where are the previously posted pictures?

Some mavic rims have a bit that comes loose.
Some hubs like Hope, if the bearings have started to go can have the freehub run against the hub body. Of course no wait on it. That does not happen.

I'm with the freehub body. Use the top sprocket teeth to move the cassette away from the spokes, with your fingers, and back..repeat..if it moves excessively at 2mm+ then that's a possible diagnosis.

And, if there is no excessive play apparent then, the internals may be knackered. It has a basic pawl and bearing system that is hard working.

Take cassette off and have a butchers'.

I had something very similar not long ago; occasional pinging/creaking sound especially when putting the power down.

I had a loose spoke or 3. tightened them up, trued the wheel and all has been perfect since.

The 'yoyo' feeling - try this.

Spin the wheel a bit and see where it settles. (the valve will probably be at the bottom). repeat a few times. add a bit of bluetack to the rim opposite the lowest point and repeat until it never stops in the same place.

Try spinning it again. I've often wondered why bike wheels/tyres aren't balanced.

Have you tried riding the bike with a different rear wheel? That would be what I'd do to eliminate the wheel as a possible cause.
Change one thing at a time till you can narrow it down, maybe, as has been suggested, change the skewer too.
The apparent out of balance wheel could be caused by the tyre.

I had a creaking/clicking noise coming from my Super V's BB/cranks that I couldn't trace. Thought it was a loose BB (original Hope titanium BB with internal cups) so would remove cranks (Middleburn RS7's) to tighten BB then refit cranks. The noise would be gone only to return. Even Locktited the threads still came back. Eventually sussed it was the interface between cranks and BB tapers. I'd used copperslip to prevent the cranks and titanium axle sticking together on tapers but it was which was allowing the creaking/clicking to occur, removed the copperslip and no more noise. Didn't do any more tightening of the BB cups or crank bolts and it has now been months since I did it and no return of noise.

To all who have provided feedback..

Thanks to all so far , lots of similar feedback all pointing towards free hub with some good tips about narrowing down wheel change etc..

Plan to get on the case in the next few days , thanks chaps..

Latest posts

Back