Peugeot 653 Athena questions

spitball":1a6qr0b5 said:
Quigs Snr":1a6qr0b5 said:
Right, mine arrived. Good nick. Not perfect. Better in the pictures, but still decent.

What tools do I need to measure up ?

A tape measure.

Or, if you wanted to be fancy, something like this?: http://www.fowlerprecision.com/Products ... 010-2.html

(I've made the brave assumption that we're still talking about seat tube internal diameters and ovality, not just general approximate frame size - for which I'd agree with @Spitball). :)

spitball":3vztsqsz said:

Thanks Spitball. I cant see anything on those links. Just a black screen with a white minus sign inside a circle ?

Seatpost on a standard tape measure looks like a tossup between 26.6 and 26.8.

I have noticed that there is no seatpin / seat collar bolt (whatever they are called) either... are they a pretty standard thing ?

Finally I found a NOS record headset in my parts bin.. Record. Seems to still be in production... HS7-RE.. .this one :

https://www.mantel.com/ie/campagnolo-hs ... -AQAvD_BwE

Will that fit the Peugeot ?

If it does it is literally the only part I dont have to buy !

If it's British thread and the stack height is ok I can't see why not, someone else who know far more than me will confirm i'm sure.

Seatpin bolts: if you are intending to fit the allen bolt with a concealed keyway, then measure across the outside faces and get the one the right length.

Thinking about this. Still have to measure the band on.. looks like 28.0.

Also have to figure out what width BB I need.

I was thinking with respect to rims... would like black rims like the original spec. Most of them for sale are very tatty with brake track wear (would prefer they were fully silver braking surfaces like modern Open Pros or similar)... which got me thinking... If I dont spot a nice enough wheelset for it... anything wrong with getting some shiny period correct campag hubs and putting modern mavic open pros on them ? Or is that a cardinal sin !

Seems fine to me. I have a tidy front wheel with Athena and Campag Omega Hardox V-section rim which would match any modern rear nicely. I used it with a Mavic CXP22 rear for a while. Let me know if you are interested, say £30 posted?

hamster":3utpsvmy said:
Seems fine to me. I have a tidy front wheel with Athena and Campag Omega Hardox V-section rim which would match any modern rear nicely. I used it with a Mavic CXP22 rear for a while. Let me know if you are interested, say £30 posted?

Sounds good, but looking for a matching pair.

Have acquired a lot of parts at this stage.

Anyone know what would be a good (relatively easy to obtain) set of bottle cages that would be period correct for a 1989 bike ?

Peugeot used a lot of Zefal stuff back then (unsurprisingly, they tended to use French manufacturers). It was often unbranded.

I just picked up a Blackburn cage for my Dawes; period correct and a good design but never really found as original equipment as they were comparatively expensive. I paid a fiver for NOS - probably less than the mid 80s price.

Back