Pedals - a wasted afternoon? IT WAS A Ti AXLE!

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Afternoon RBers,

I have been looking for appropriate pedals for my 1975 Gazelle A Frame, I thought I had just the right thing, having mistakenly bought a few pedals on ebay. They are a pair of Kyokuto Top Run in poorish condition -

Last night I cleaned one with a baby wipe and it cleaned it up a bit. So, this morning, I had a good look at it and thought I could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Advice I had been given disagreed with my plan but i can be stubborn!!

I disassembled the pedals quite easily and tried cleaning and polishing. The end was badly scored so i filed it and used sanding pads to tidy it up. I then polished the end and it came up well (IMHO) compared to what it had been.

I then tried polishing up the rest and, as luck would have it, I failed. The pedals are anodized and I then used the oven cleaner route to remove it. This failed and i pondered. I decided to use the sanding pads and see it that would work, luckily it did. Once i was happy, I polished the pedals. They came up quite well, but they were badly marked and I did not want to remove too much of the metal so i decided to leave them in 'used condition'. Any attempt to get them back to 'close to new' condition would fail.

This pic shows the remaining marks but they do not look that bad using my eyes - the camera lies!

So, eventually, I had one done - this pic shows the comparison between before and after - note this side had not been polished yet and retains its anodizing-

I was happy enough with the result UNTIL I was taking the pics for comparison. I noticed that the untouched pedal was damaged and the outside edge was badly damaged and bent -

As the garage door was open I swore quietly!

This pic shows the two pedals and the difference with the damage -

and again -

It must be great to be lucky!!! How I managed to pick the 'good' one last night and this morning and not notice the 'bad' one,Ii do not know.

Any ideas how to repairs the damaged one are appreciated but I am not sure if I have the time to start it! And to my advisors - I really should have listened!!! It does not pay to be stubborn some times.

I hope everyone else had a more productive day than me!

Richard

Re: Pedals - a wasted afternoon?

I have a decent set of black alloy Campag road pedals left over from my roadie days, if anybody is interested PM me.

TGR":2z8jfylc said:
Afternoon RBers,

Any ideas how to repairs the damaged one are appreciated but I am not sure if I have the time to start it! And to my advisors - I really should have listened!!! It does not pay to be stubborn some times.

I once 'repaired' an old pair of pedals just by using some pliers to bend the metal back in place. Still visable that the pedal has had a hard life, but that's just patina in my eyes :)

Impressive work on the first pedal though, pedals are the parts I never like to clean up! Oh, and pics of the Gazelle please ;)

Always enjoy your posts / exploits TGR. I don't know if they get better, or go from bad to worse, but that's
the attraction and entertainment value of them.

Keep them coming, and top tip from Shaun to get brutal with a hacksaw; the bright side (pun intended)
would be less polishing!

Thanks all, maybe not a wasted afternoon but a learning experience! Always take the positive out of a bad situation. (Hard to type that!!!! LOL)

The Gazelle (which should have a build thread by now) has been in various pics - all related to problems (i hate issues) I have been having - but here are a few pics -

If that is not enough, there are more pics here -

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/TGR15 ... rt=3&o=122

Absolutely incredibly, there is an SR pedal in one of the pics - That is embarrassing, as I had not noticed them before, they must be in a Gazelle box! I will have to have a search next week!

Thanks all,

Richard

You'll get there in the end matey! You know you will
smiley-hug006.gif

Thanks Ian,

Maybe i should have taken the advice at the beginning! LOL

Richard

Get a tooth brush into that SR name will you! Thats the stem I'm talking about
smiley-rolleyes005.gif