Peak Cheapness?

Probably most do the stripping and flipping just for a few parts for their own build (like @Twozaskars ).

It's a good way to fund the hobby if you have the time and space.

Probably the "worst / best" I did was needing a complete set of bog standard Shimano chainring bolts for a triple. Factor in the Ebay price, factor in the postage / shipping cost, factor in the delay and waiting I just said sod it and bought a bike from the charity shop for 15€. Some stuff sold, some stuff kept back, but the majority went off for recycling. These days I'm pretty much sorted and more recently just donate stuff to a local bike charity.

pretty much agree for that business model. it's a hobby, you need a second income, if you want to factor in your time you've missed the point really.

I'm not sure I'm making my argument very well, so I'm going to stop trying. have fun folks.
I’m agreeing with you

The hunter gatherer instinct plays hard in many of these scenarios. "Look what I scored!"

Yes, and miraculously most stories seem to involve buying a bike well under market price, and selling another for well above it. As I say to my mates, it's not me you have to convince - it's your missus.

Back in the eighties I spent a lot of time at scrapyards. I would turn up at work covered in the evidence. Moving into a small flat in Highbury forced a turning point. We could use our VW Kombi for parts/spares storage for my Beetles, or use it for its intended purpose. I ceased chasing Beetle renovations, and handed over all work/parts acquisition to a trusted third party. I relaxed into this new awareness, that a few extra hours at my, albeit enjoyable, work made for a much cleaner life flow. I was enjoying my VWs, not obsessing over their needs.

Early days in my realisation that all our time has value. Part of the reason I will never hesitate to use the LBS to do work I can certainly do. The differential. My time and effort is factored in. Being a crofter at heart, I turn my hand to anything. Whether repairing an OLED television, butchering my dog's raw food or knitting a hat for the promised cold winter. Satisfaction and convenience are huge factors to me.

There is nothing at all wrong with spending time on non profitable, in money terms, endeavours. Just as long as you make certain you are enjoying it, or there is some form of benefit operating on your existence.

I recently bought an old(ish) rusty shiteheap. Not a Land Rover, for a change, but an Italian bicycle.

Because it was looking unloved on Ebay, and triggered some nostalgia, having ridden the same in fondly remembered times long ago.

It is sat wheelless on an old office desk, waiting.

Like so much of what I acquire, it holds potential for me.

Not monetary, but potential pleasure from the process of loving it.

I guess, for me, things are cheap enough now to gather some things I may or may not get round to.

The prices are low enough to worry not about losing out.

🤔 Perhaps there is a temporal aspect to lot of this.

@highlandsflyer hit on a good point.

At the height of my stripping and flipping it was a great source to simply try lots for not much outlay. When I say lots, frames, forks, geometry, bits, bits that fail, boutique bits, run of the mill bits, mass produced, lightweights, bits that survive a day in day out commuter all weather slog, different materials etc. etc. etc..

The "price" of this knowledge acquired studying every part in my own hands rather than referring to bullshit reviews I find practically incalculable in a very positive way. If I did make a loss in physical trading, in my own mind, and since it is hobby I am passionate about, the off-set in knowledge gained was easy to justify to know for sure.

Now that I have tried a lot over the years, I'm actually not that willing to embark on new. It's like I see just a lot of gimmicks and junk and crap grade metals before me banged out in millions as opposed to about 1000s or 100s or 10s when we go back in time and recalling what I have owned. Right now, I think I prefer to wrench for pleasure on something really really old but well made. For riding, I can't seem to go over like a 2005 threshold.

I also think reality hit the "Gravel" buzz, especially when I see the second hand quantity for sale already. At least in Europe, I suspect it is hard wake up call that even most minor remote roads are actually surfaced - unlike parts in the USA.

Loving the thread and points of view too 👍

Got a bargain, overpaid, made money, lost money, all apply. I've ended up with a collection I'm more than happy with.
If and when the time comes they'll get what they get. I just love playing with bikes and top end retro is still miles cheaper than top end modern. I've said this before but I spent years in the pub, thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll never see that money again. I look at the bikes the same way, I've spent it, it's gone but at least there's something to show for it.

Anyone in this game for a profit would be better off making these…

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Haha
Reactions: Woz
Concretely, from years of strip and flip, I'm at the point I wouldn't even bother buying a 75€ XT M739 equipped bike.

By the time and cost of getting it in the man cave, inspecting it all, cleaning it all, presenting it all, dealing with dickheads, the pleasure and financial incentive is now lost.

Dealing with French bikes (where I am home and are abundance) I would never pick anything up more than what the weird ass 3 or 4 speed freewheel is worth. It is that sad to keep level headed today for dealing with that kind of stuff.

The only thing I think that actually maintains some flow of goods is disparity between rural areas and urban areas and the notion of "click to buy" and be gratified instantantly but even that is laced with complications when considering values.

A few days ago (in France) I dumped a massive 1952 made ceramic sink at the tip. Made in England. In excellent condition with no chips. Here in a deep rural I can't even offload for a cow to eat from it. The guys at the tip to help me offload it said the same, in a swanky city it would be in a bathroom costing a lot for a unique vintage item to show off. Proper country house renovation a la TV vibe to it. A UK house renovation program would make 15mins of broadcast time on such a thing. A trendy influencer on the boobtube raves about such things, but they haven't been arsed to get a driving license and certainly can't be arsed to collect such things. The new generation I think wants it delivered on the door stop and be able to return it if they are not "happy" with it.

When we are talking about bikes, especially older bikes, as private sellers I think we are up against it to appeal to a new crowd. The hassle and price of posting big bulky items I think weighs on the decision too that effects our market.
What a pity I'm not in France, I'd've taken that sink off you.

Reactions: Woz
Back