Peak Cheapness?

Concretely, from years of strip and flip, I'm at the point I wouldn't even bother buying a 75€ XT M739 equipped bike.

By the time and cost of getting it in the man cave, inspecting it all, cleaning it all, presenting it all, dealing with dickheads, the pleasure and financial incentive is now lost.

Dealing with French bikes (where I am home and are abundance) I would never pick anything up more than what the weird ass 3 or 4 speed freewheel is worth. It is that sad to keep level headed today for dealing with that kind of stuff.

The only thing I think that actually maintains some flow of goods is disparity between rural areas and urban areas and the notion of "click to buy" and be gratified instantantly but even that is laced with complications when considering values.

A few days ago (in France) I dumped a massive 1952 made ceramic sink at the tip. Made in England. In excellent condition with no chips. Here in a deep rural I can't even offload for a cow to eat from it. The guys at the tip to help me offload it said the same, in a swanky city it would be in a bathroom costing a lot for a unique vintage item to show off. Proper country house renovation a la TV vibe to it. A UK house renovation program would make 15mins of broadcast time on such a thing. A trendy influencer on the boobtube raves about such things, but they haven't been arsed to get a driving license and certainly can't be arsed to collect such things. The new generation I think wants it delivered on the door stop and be able to return it if they are not "happy" with it.

When we are talking about bikes, especially older bikes, as private sellers I think we are up against it to appeal to a new crowd. The hassle and price of posting big bulky items I think weighs on the decision too that effects our market.
I bought an M739 equipped bike a few weeks ago for £115, picked up on way home from work. Sold the crank, skewers, rear mech and V brakes which has got me my £115 back. Now I've got the rest of the bits needed to build my Bravado which will cost me nothing but the initial frame plus a new headset. I've still got the frame, forks, tyres, bars plus more of the original bike to get rid of. Point is M739 kitted bikes are still well worth buying.

I bought an M739 equipped bike a few weeks ago for £115, picked up on way home from work. Sold the crank, skewers, rear mech and V brakes which has got me my £115 back. Now I've got the rest of the bits needed to build my Bravado which will cost me nothing but the initial frame plus a new headset. I've still got the frame, forks, tyres, bars plus more of the original bike to get rid of. Point is M739 kitted bikes are still well worth buying.
If you 'need' some parts, why not? As for being 'profitable'; that is a different question. How do people value their time?

That may be true for some, but there are clearly lots who do 'stripping and flipping', and involve 'selling on' in their equations when considering 'value'.

That may be true for some, but there are clearly lots who do 'stripping and flipping', and involve 'selling on' in their equations when considering 'value'.
But not making a living from it, it's still done for fun. I'm sure they do involve the idea of selling on as part of it, but I'm still very suspect that anyone can do it "professionally" and clear a margin, which is surely the only time you'd want to cost in your time to the equation?

For me, stripping and flipping is not part of the fun - and so if I did any (strangely I don't!) it would need to be costed in - and my free time does not come cheap!

But not making a living from it, it's still done for fun. I'm sure they do involve the idea of selling on as part of it, but I'm still very suspect that anyone can do it "professionally" and clear a margin, which is surely the only time you'd want to cost in your time to the equation?

You’d never make a full time living from it. It’s good for getting the parts you need from full bikes , and any cash simply gets spent on other bikes or parts.

You couldn’t create a business that’s reliable as you’ve simply no idea what is gonna come up for sale , where it’ll be , if it’ll be damaged and then factor in your time and it’s a non starter. Might as well work a normal job with less hassle.

You’d never make a full time living from it. It’s good for getting the parts you need from full bikes , and any cash simply gets spent on other bikes or parts.

You couldn’t create a business that’s reliable as you’ve simply no idea what is gonna come up for sale , where it’ll be , if it’ll be damaged and then factor in your time and it’s a non starter. Might as well work a normal job with less hassle.
pretty much agree for that business model. it's a hobby, you need a second income, if you want to factor in your time you've missed the point really.

I'm not sure I'm making my argument very well, so I'm going to stop trying. have fun folks.

If you were the only one bidding and you paid the start price, you were the only one that wanted the bike at that price, you over paid.

Many cars do, most don’t. All prices fluctuate.

I’ve seen your car threads, Audi r8 etc, not exactly run of the mill.
Don't agree with this as I believe starting an action at a low first bid (99p) is/was proven to consistently generate on average a higher selling price then stating an auction at a higher starting price (£99). The higher first bid puts people off and then they don't get caught up in a bidding war.
Also have to factor if the item was well listed / spotted by other potential bidders etc.

Back