Peak Cheapness?

Probably most do the stripping and flipping just for a few parts for their own build (like @Twozaskars ).

It's a good way to fund the hobby if you have the time and space.

Probably the "worst / best" I did was needing a complete set of bog standard Shimano chainring bolts for a triple. Factor in the Ebay price, factor in the postage / shipping cost, factor in the delay and waiting I just said sod it and bought a bike from the charity shop for 15€. Some stuff sold, some stuff kept back, but the majority went off for recycling. These days I'm pretty much sorted and more recently just donate stuff to a local bike charity.

pretty much agree for that business model. it's a hobby, you need a second income, if you want to factor in your time you've missed the point really.

I'm not sure I'm making my argument very well, so I'm going to stop trying. have fun folks.
I’m agreeing with you

The hunter gatherer instinct plays hard in many of these scenarios. "Look what I scored!"

Yes, and miraculously most stories seem to involve buying a bike well under market price, and selling another for well above it. As I say to my mates, it's not me you have to convince - it's your missus.

Back in the eighties I spent a lot of time at scrapyards. I would turn up at work covered in the evidence. Moving into a small flat in Highbury forced a turning point. We could use our VW Kombi for parts/spares storage for my Beetles, or use it for its intended purpose. I ceased chasing Beetle renovations, and handed over all work/parts acquisition to a trusted third party. I relaxed into this new awareness, that a few extra hours at my, albeit enjoyable, work made for a much cleaner life flow. I was enjoying my VWs, not obsessing over their needs.

Early days in my realisation that all our time has value. Part of the reason I will never hesitate to use the LBS to do work I can certainly do. The differential. My time and effort is factored in. Being a crofter at heart, I turn my hand to anything. Whether repairing an OLED television, butchering my dog's raw food or knitting a hat for the promised cold winter. Satisfaction and convenience are huge factors to me.

There is nothing at all wrong with spending time on non profitable, in money terms, endeavours. Just as long as you make certain you are enjoying it, or there is some form of benefit operating on your existence.

I recently bought an old(ish) rusty shiteheap. Not a Land Rover, for a change, but an Italian bicycle.

Because it was looking unloved on Ebay, and triggered some nostalgia, having ridden the same in fondly remembered times long ago.

It is sat wheelless on an old office desk, waiting.

Like so much of what I acquire, it holds potential for me.

Not monetary, but potential pleasure from the process of loving it.

I guess, for me, things are cheap enough now to gather some things I may or may not get round to.

The prices are low enough to worry not about losing out.

Back