Orange experts - your help needed for frame id!

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
OK, so I have just gotten my dirty mitts on a frame, which I believe to be an Orange (seller told me it is, and it has a few tell take signs) how do I tell which model it is? Im not too bothered about the model etc as it was a bargain and Im going to ghetto SS it (probably lop off the pannier eyelets and the cable guides myself, then get some horizontal dropouts welded in) however it would still be nice to know.

So, heres what I know:

1 1/8" head tube
wishbone rear end
Crud bosses on the down tube
triple cable guides on the R/H side of the top tube
canti only
chain hanger tab
pannier mounts
26.8 or 27.0 seatpost (no vernier calipers, or seatpost to hand)
2 holes in bottom of BB shell
no discernible frame number (that I can see)

Forks that came with it (I believe to be the originals) have:
rear facing V bosses
unicrown (ie, like a P2, not the F7) bent legs
pannier eyelets
angled dropout

TIA Orange fans! theboy

Photos really would help with this but.....

It sounds like a steel frame which would make it a Clockwork from before 94.

The C16 and later Clockworks had much larger seat tubes like the P7 with a 29.6 seatpost.

You could be lucky and have blagged a Prestige, but the only easy way to tell if the original decals have gone is the canti hanger. The Prestige had a nice sculpted one with a hole through it, the one on the Clockwork was plain.

Age can be worked out from the frame number (if you can find it). The first three numbers give year and month of manufacture.

If you can't see the frame number there is a possibility it has been filled in with paint if the frame's been resprayed at some point.

crud catcher mounts and a 1 1/8 headtube make it a lot later then 1994, the headtube suggests that is circa 1998 if its steel (also supported by the rear facing studs on the fork.. clockwork??)- they were always 1" before then, but that doesn't fit in with it having a canti hanger on the wishbone.. :| Hmm, no idea, give us a pic and we'll tell you in seconds.. ;)

Anthony":3s6pxbve said:
Didn't the Clockwork in something like 99 or 2000 have a fork with rear-facing V-mounts?

Yes but they where F7's.. the curve toped rear facing stud forks where 98 I believe.. Oh and there wasn't a clockwork in 2000. ;)

Bugger. Missed the 11/8" head tube. :oops:

That sounds more like a C16R.
Are you sure about the seatpost size, there's not a shim in there is there?
Oh, and is there an external butt on the seat tube?

The little button for hanging the chain on the drive side chainstay was used right up till 1999 so that's not a help.

right, first off its Steel, the seatpost measurement is actually nearer 30 - 29.6 perhaps, ill get a vernier caliper on it this evening. It has NO canti stop, I meant V brake bosses only (ie non disc).

Will do a pic later - its a small frame btw - 12" c to c!

1998 C16R or Clockwork?

I'm not sure if the uni-crown fork was available on both the C16R and Clockwork in 1998.

Back