Orange clockwork - is it worth it

Basti

Dirt Disciple
Hello All

Just new to retrobike. my last mtb was a stumpjumper comp from around 92 - got nicked and eventually ended up on a road bike, which is great but just not a mtb. fell off it, broke my shoulder and want to be back on the good stuff.

so, now i bought an orange clockwork specced with awful stuff and am wondering whether its worth bringing it back to its old glory. what do i go for? any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
basti

Plenty of love for Clockworks on here (I have a relatively modern one & love it)

Once you have a few more posts to your name you can post pics of it

What can you tell us about it? Year? Colour? Condition? Spec?

Wow that was quick!

Its green from 91, frame is actually in quite good nick, but it has been vandalised with grip shift, awful cheap v-breaks and a bizarre bar and stem. The rest is lx group.

Thanks all looking forward to the responses and will post somepiccs

Easy enough to pick up some matching parts on here or eBay to return it to a 'respectable' status... :cool:

Welcome to the money pit BTW :LOL:

Basti":2awriakh said:
Wow that was quick!

Its green from 91, frame is actually in quite good nick, but it has been vandalised with grip shift, awful cheap v-breaks and a bizarre bar and stem. The rest is lx group.

Thanks all looking forward to the responses and will post somepiccs
There are a few options

Option A: find the catalogue spec (we may have one in the archives, look in the Gallery 2) and build it to that spec

Option B: Use period correct components to your liking

Option C: Build it with what ever you like

Remember it's your bike and what you build it up with is your choice!

My '99 Clockwork has have a very thorough modernisation, but I stop at adapting the frame for disc brakes, I have other bikes with discs.

Once you have decided on how you'd like to build it then get yourself over to the classified sections on the forum and you may well be able to get the parts you want

Can I ask why you think it's a 91? could you tell the frame number on the underneath of the bottom bracket?

Well worth the time getting sorted. I've got a 94 and I love it. Had it from new and it still gets used all the time.

Good luck with it and welcome!

well worth it!.....groupset of your choice, but i cant help feel a fondness for keeping it all one flavour as the original would have been....dx would suit it well... :D

Back