On balance, I still am not a fan of e-bikes (previously known as ‘I just don’t get E bikes’)

My biggest lithium batteries are hug….but smaller than e-bike batteries. They store A LOT of energy.
My chainsaw battery =
Stihl 36V 7.2ah
The charger cost 150 gbp.
The battery cost 250 gbp.
Despite the very well designed charging curves and the powerful cooling system, I still charge the batteries in a specific, safe location in the workshop.
And e-bike batteries 48V 20ah….
I just can’t see that cheap e-bikes and their batteries are as well-designed and so the risks are higher. And the purchasing demographic means that cheap bikes are more likely to be kept in hallways in urban areas, which constitutes a real risk to safety - but the owners have little choice.
It is a real problem I think - a lot of incidents with e-scooters.

🤔

Makes you wonder how many batteries on urban transport machines are baking in direct sunlight during the intense heatwaves we are having at the moment.

Don’t worry , soon all Ebikes will be regulated , and licensed so it’ll stop all the nonsense with the balaclava lot.

Anything with a motor which you ride should be under the same laws as motor vehicles. (Inc mobility scooters).

😉
These derestricted ebikes are currently illegal, and people still buy/steal and ride them like hooligans? What makes you think that regulating them will change anything? Hooligans be hooligans, and will continue to ride illegally, even if it's possible to use them within a legal framework.
I don't follow your logic at all.

These derestricted ebikes are currently illegal, and people still buy/steal and ride them like hooligans? What makes you think that regulating them will change anything? Hooligans be hooligans, and will continue to ride illegally, even if it's possible to use them within a legal framework.
I don't follow your logic at all.

Remember mini motos?? Everyone had one , ridden without issue around your local council estate and then law was enforced and slowly they disappeared once the threat of prosecution loomed. Same will happen. These people don’t want to make themselves known to police most the time so will move onto the next thing.

Remember mini motos?? Everyone had one , ridden without issue around your local council estate and then law was enforced and slowly they disappeared once the threat of prosecution loomed. Same will happen. These people don’t want to make themselves known to police most the time so will move onto the next thing.
My point is these ebikes are already illegal, so the threat is already there, and the yobs don't care, and ride them anyway. Motorbike theft is illegal, but there's a fecking epidemic of it in my city. I think you overestimate the respect that bellends have for Johnny law.
As for mini motos, I think they were just an impractical fad and the idiots just moved onto the next thing (possibly surrons or electric scooters or nicking full size bikes).

Back